Thursday 11 July 2013

Sixmilebridge and Wicklow Way

Monday, 1st July, 2013 – 11.9km Easy Run (4:59/km)
First couple of kms were just loosening out the legs and then managed a decent clip afterwards.

Tuesday, 2nd July, 2013 – 17.8km Medium Slow Run (5:25/km)
Probably a little too fast last night as on tonight’s run the legs felt a little heavy again. Kept the pace around 5:27/km all the way and the HR in the 120’s.

Wednesday, 3rd July, 2013 – Rest Day
The big mileage caught up with me and I was knackered so I gave tonight a miss.

Thursday, 4th July, 2013 – 11.9km Recovery Run (5:23/km)

A gentle enough recovery run in advance of a couple of big days…

Friday, 5th July, 2013 – 42.6km Sixmilebridge Marathon (5:19/km)

It only entered my head during the week that I could do with a back to back long run this weekend, that I was free Friday afternoon and that Day 2 of the 10 in 10 was starting at 5pm. Everything came together so perfectly that I had registered for the marathon before I really knew what was happening!


I drove straight to Sixmilebridge from work and arrived into the village about 30mins before the race start. After a little bit of adventuring I eventually located the registration centre. 8 people had gone out for an early start at 3pm in a bid to be home safely before darkness. That left me among about 25 people to start at 5pm. The race started with a small lap of the village before tackling the main loop. After the first mile a group of five had broken away from the rest of us and I was leading the charge of the peleton (It would evolve into a tussle to the finish between Thomas, Stu and Rik for the win). I inched away from the rest of my group over the next few miles so it was strange when I heard another runner approaching after 5 miles. After a little chat it emerges it was John Chapman whom I had ran close to in both Le Cheile marathons two weeks previously. I fully expected that he would continue on past me but after a mile or so we fell into the same pace. I was now moving slightly faster than I’d aimed for but the company was allowing the time to tick by faster so I made the decision to maintain speed alongside John.


Myself and the other JC
crossing the finish line
The water stations were well manned by locals and appeared every three miles. This was a warm day so hydration was essential, although luckily the temperature dropped a few degreees after the first hour. There was also a couple of road crossings that the marshalls handled really well from a safety point of view so good performance all round!

After 10 miles we were met by a long drag. Barely noticeable at this stage it would seem much steeper just 2 hours later. We were back in the village in what felt like no time (actually – 1:53!) and here we managed to catch up to Denis Looney who had kept a solid 200m gap on us ever since John joined me 8 miles previous. Unfortunately Denis seemed to take it a bit easier from here though and he dropped back from us when we left the village for the second time. 

We were now coming across some of the 3pm starters who were walking including Tom who organised this whole event through the local Bridge Milers Olympic Harriers (BMOH) club. Unfortunately Tom had done his ankle the evening before and that resulted in him having to walk the entire course today. Around this point we caught up to Graham Whitaker also who had been in fourth place but like Denis he too was now easing back (full entitled to do so with a 3:35 yesterday!). Graham ran with us for a half a mile or so but let us off after that.


Marathon results
We passed a couple of more walkers soon afterwards but then it was just the pair of us til the end. Things got a little tougher (and quieter!) over the last few miles and that damn drag from the first lap now appeared neverending! Thankfully John was very familiar with the route so he could tell me just where the landmarks along the route were. We passed under the finish gantry together in 3:46:57 for joint 4th spot. Considering I was planning to run about 4:00-4:10 I was very happy with the time and how I felt (my HR was in the recovery zone throughout until the final few miles when a little effort was required). However, I was wary that I now had to drive back to Dublin and run a very hilly marathon distance tomorrow so I wasn’t sure if I’d regret this evening’s faster pace …

Saturday, 6th July, 2013 – 40.6km Wicklow Way LSR
Starting point
I parked up in the Lidl on Grange Road and immediately ran into Johnny. A short walk to the meeting spot and we ran into Pat and Sean while watching the winners first finishers of the Parkrun. After a few mins we noticed another group of backpak-clad runner-type people and on closer inspection confirmed it was the rest of our group. There was 12 in total and we’d be meeting a 13th - Felim - at Curtlestown Wood later. A plan which had developed in a pub after the Cork marathon between myself and Johnny had snowballed to this! People travelled from Cork (x3), Kilkenny and Laois for this so I’m sure they were happy with the glorious weather we laid on for them! And so it was that at 10:05am we set sail for the Wicklow Way.


The gang (minus Felim) at the start
The first couple of kms are through Marlay Park and out onto College Road before we turned undeer the M50 and the start of the first of three big climbs of the day. Kilmashogue Lane was steep in places and we were happy when it turned off road onto the mountain itself as the incline eased off a bit from here. Before long we were most of the way to the top and the first photo opp of the day looking back over a sun laden Dublin. Just a little while later we were cresting the mountain and stopped for a brief break at the junction of the Dublin Mountain Way trail. Everyone was in good spirirts and really enjoying the scenery and best news of all was that the next few miles were downhill!


Traffic jam on the trail!
The trail across towards Tibradden is quite technical and very easy to trip yourself up (as I did on the DMW a few months back!). Thankfully though no such accidents to report this time. The section where it diverges from the DMW down to the Ballybrack Road was very steep and a couple of times I could feel the grip from the runners begin to slide. Great fun! We regrouped again at the man road and it was here that the flies and midges first became unbearable. 



View from Kilmashogue
back over the city
Next up was Prince William’s Seat. The group was now beginning to splinter a little bit with the faster guys like Michael, Paul, Kevin and Jeff all bouncing lightly up the mountain! No shame in being droppped by that gang though as they all have impressive marathon pbs. Another brilliant if slightly hazy vista welcomed us at the top of this climb where we were now looking down over Bray, Dalkey and the Irish Sea. The descent from here included a section of large boulders which had to be carefully negotiated before we were back onto fireroad and before we knew it were at the gates of Curtlestown Woods. 


Drop down to the
Dargle from Maulin
Felim was waiting for us here with two x 2 litre bottles of water which was perfect timing as most of us were running pretty low. After a top-up we were on our way again. I could see that the faster guys were eager to get going and probably a little too much waiting around for their liking but in fairness they never complained. Well at least not while we were in earshot!! After a few miles on road, fireroad and through fields we arrived at Crone Woods. This was the start of the final large climb – but the toughest was kept for last! I’ve ran this climb a few times now and new what lay ahead so I made sure to take it handy. I’d arrived at the start without having refueled sufficiently from yesterday’s efforts so I was very conscious of not over cooking things too far from the finish. The group now broke into a band of four towards the back with the 9 others travelling at varying speeds in front. Another great photo opp presented itself just in front of Powerscourt waterfall and the first decent view of Djouce. 


Water refill at the crossing of the Dargle
Myself and Felim
We marched onwards and regrouped once more as we crossed the Dargle and stopped for a water refill. We weren’t too sure of the water quality but Pat promised he’d drank from it before so we gave it a taste. Just as good as from a tap so we refilled for the remainder of the run. From here to the top of Djouce was to prove to be a killer for me. Totally lacking in energy I just hiked to the high point before jogging around the peak and by the time we were on the far side of the mountain it was time for another photo opp so I decided to take on some food. This stop lasted about 5 mins and once we got going again it was mainly downhill to the finish. So, refreshed, reenergised and refocused the funk lifted and I was back to enjoying my adventure. 


Myself and John at Lough Tay.

Finito!
There had been talk (mainly by me I admit!) of continuing onwards to Laragh but one-by-one people were making up their mind to call it quits in Roundwood instead. The faster guys kicked on (subsequently taking a shortcut to the village!) while myself Felim, Johnny and Kate stuck to our pace and route to arrive into the Coach House about 25 mins after them. A short while later the remainder of the bunch dropped in too so there was planty of craic as we waited for our lift back to Marlay.

Thankfully I’d made it through two very long runs in decent nick and that gives me a nice confident boost for Friday week in Belfast. The past few weeks have reinstilled in me the old running mantra that ‘pace kills, not distance!’. Today’s run was really enjoyable again and before we’d left the pub Bertie was already working on plans for a follow-up run down in Kerry!

Note: Thanks to Kate, Bertie, John, Paul and Ger for all the pics!

Sunday, 7th July, 2013 – 7.4km Recovery Run (5:27/km)
Just got out and ran a leg loosener to keep the legs ticking over. No pain thankfully, just a bit of tiredness but that’s to be expected.

So, a week of over 132km, easily the biggest week of running I’ve ever managed AND I had a Rest Day in there to boot - gotta be pleased with that!


Week 27 Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 132.2km
DTY: 2224.7km

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a great run. I see you were sensible and protected the aul head from the sun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, a great run. And I knew better than to get sunburnt two weeks running (pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work robbing all the pictures :P

    Just think of the class blog you could have if you did the Kerry way as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's enough internet for me to capture 120 miles of the Kerry Way!!

    ReplyDelete