Tuesday 29 July 2014

Mullingar 10 Miler

Monday, 21st July 2014 – 7.4km Distance (5:14/km)
An easy run to get the legs turning over once more after yesterday’s race. Nothing much to report.

Tuesday, 22nd July 2014 – Cross Train – 90mins Football Training
Because I’m coming back from injury and the fact it’ll take a while to get back to full fitness I’ve decided to simply enjoy the second half of the year and take things as I please. I’ll be jogging Berlin now but if I’m feeling strong I may give Dublin a right rattle. However before all that I’ve decided to go back playing a bit of football. I hope this might strengthen up joints and muscles and make me a bit stronger overall, but ultimately I just want to do it for a bit of fun for a few months before I get back into serious training once more.

This was my first full training session (I arrived halfway through the session last Saturday) so I was pretty tired when it finished after 90mins. The session itself was mainly 6 a side matchplay but working muscles I hadn’t gone near in a couple of years left its mark! Stiff and tired that evening but nothing excessive. On the otherhand my soles were torn to shreds as they always are when I return to playing football. All that twisting and turning means the balls of my feet get all kinds of blistered. A few compeed did wonders though so nothing too bad!

Wednesday, 23rd July 2014 – 19.4km LSR (6:02/km)
Myself and Roisin ran this together as it was her last long run before Rock n Roll HM and I needed a long run at an easy pace. As it turned out it wasn’t quite as easy as I hoped but still got round in one piece. I keep underestimating how much endurance I’ve lost as a result of being out for 3 months. Things can only get better/easier!

Thursday, 24th July 2014 – Rest Day
I took today off as I was a bit tired after the previous two nights and also I am wary of overdoing things too soon.

Friday, 25th July 2014 – 5.3km Distance (5:30/km)
I had a busy day Friday so managed to slot this in in the evening before I got too busy. Should have been easy but the heat meant it was tougher than I’d expected.

Saturday, 26th July 2014 – Cross Train (Football – 45 mins)
Initially I was supposed to be going home for the Balla 10k but I changed plans at the last minute so now I was available for our game today. First Pre-Season friendly so I managed 45mins, coming on at left back at half time. Good to get a run-out and dust off the cobwebs! I felt good for the duration however later that evening I was dozing on the couch and the effects of the game became clearer…

Sunday, 27th July 2014 – 18.2km Mullingar 10 Mile Race (4:51/km)
Woke up this morning with aches and stiffness all over. Managed to get to Dalystown in 45 mins and then went to reg and a short warm-up. Ran into lots of people including Peter, Barry, Philip and lots of his clubmates before the race.

Barry and myself seemed to have similar targets (sub 75mins) although I probably should have done a bit more research into my race plan! I stayed with Barry for the first 3km (at 4:30/km pace) before admitting the pace was a little too hot for me so decided to drop back to 4:40/km. This lasted another 2km before things were getting tougher again and I found myself trying to hold on to 4:50 pace from km 6 through til 9. This really was not considered pre-race at all. I had figured my 10k average was 4:33 in Swords last week with tired legs from the Liberties 6k run the previous Thursday. Therefore surely 4:45/km should be quite manageable for this 10 mile race?? Into the last 7km and things sunk to their worst with just about maintaining a 5:00/km pace – something I couldn't remember struggling to maintain outside of a marathon for a very long time! I managed to rally to a 4:47/km final km before crossing the line in 78:21or thereabouts – well outside my general target of sub 75! 

A glaring view of reality ensued and I eventually figured that I’m starting back at a low base for the next couple of months. With that I’ve decided a good way forward might be to track my VDot number as that should show progression week by week. I currently stand at 42(!) having been at 50 when fully fit. Let’s see how long it takes to get back there!

Week 29 Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 49.6km
DTY: 1,771.0km
VDot: 42

No comments:

Post a Comment