Sunday 28 April 2013

McMillan 10k Plan - Week 2 session

Thursday, 25th April 2013 – 12.3km Recovery Run (5:23/km)
Despite intending to take it easy last night on the IMRA run I still pushed it hard enough to have sore quads today! So, a nice easy recovery run was called for. I ran the usual block but towards home I detoured through the park. Due to ill timing though I had to double-back on my tracks to find an exit gate that was still open so managed to add an extra 500m to the run. Nothing much else to report!

Friday, 26th April 2013 – 13.7km Intervals with 12 x 400m @ 3:58/km

My legs were still feeling very tender from the IMRA race so I wasn’t looking forward to this afternoons run. I had decided to bring this week’s McMillan supplementary session forward from Saturday to today which meant I was going to have to run 10 – 12 reps of 400m @ 4:02/km (10km pace).


HR graph for McMillan week 2 session
A slow jog down to the local park and the quads were screaming at me that this was not a good idea! I slowed a little bit but it did no good. After about 2.5km of a warm-up it was time for my first interval. I started off way too fast so when I saw my pace was at 3:30/km I eased off until the end. A similar pacing issue with the second rep followed, but by rep three I was closer to target pace. 

Although it was by no means pleasant for the quads they were holding up well. It was only by the 7th rep that things started getting anyways difficult but it was still well manageable. By the last couple of reps I was feeling it so I was well happy when the twelfth rep was in the bag but I could still have done a couple more if I had to. I wonder does that mean I should be going quicker??

Week 16 Summary (so far):
RTW: 5 from 5 days
DTW: 58.7km
DTY: 1380.1km

2 comments:

  1. Should those reps be done at 5k pace? 400m at 10k pace sounds a bit slow. Your HR only peaked over 160, was the purpose of the session to get the HR into VO2Max range?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stephen!
    I had it in my head that they were to be done at 10km pace but just after double-checking and you're right, it should have been 5km pace. As it happens my 5km PB is around that pace - I was using this as a potential 10km pace so probably could have gone a bit faster alright. Not to worry though as it was only a supplementary session. The second main session is due for Tuesday so we'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete