Monday 13 May 2013

Illness strikes!

Monday, 6th May 2013 – 11.8km Recovery Run (5:25/km)
I was way more knackered from the beers after the race than the marathon itself so it was late Monday evening before I managed to go out for a relaxed recovery run. Legs were perfect after yesterday which was encouraging.

Tuesday, 7th May 2013 – Rest Day
Still a bt run down from the weekend and decided to have a power nap after work. That didn’t work and when 8pm came along I gave into the sensible option of my first rest day in 3 weeks and after about 330km. Good call in the end because when I was off to bed my throat was feeling raw & sore and I felt like I was coming down with something and the run would certainly not have helped. Hoping now that I avoid anything major.

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 – 11.5km IMRA Race #3 - Tibradden 
I still had a raw throat today and was feeling a little run down but decided to power ahead with the IMRA run regardless. This was to be an 11km run over pretty rocky terrain with all the climbs runnable so I was hoping for a decent position here.

The run started just a couple of minutes late and there was a nice wide fireroad to allow for a natural thinning of the field. I found myself in about 50th position over the course of the first kilometre but unfortunately this was already the beginning of the end for me!

The fireroad continued for another km or so before narrowing onto the Dublin Mountains Way path which I’d run along only ten days ago. I was already beginning to struggle around here which surprised me. There were a few people overtaking me a bit too easily and I had no answer to fend them off, I just felt a bit weak. Higher up, half-way to Tibradden I actually had to slow to walk a few steps a few times. I was the first person to struggle like this and I knew something was not right with me.

Up and over Tibradden and down the far side followed. I was struggling on the gentle downhill now and the gap to the guys in front was widening as I continued to be overtaken. I struggled onwards to the junction of the Wicklow Way trail all the time contemplating dropping out and walking back to the start. Instead I figured I was about halfway to the turnaround point anyways so I may as well just continue at a more manageable pace and use it as a training session.

There was still a decent amount of climb left to get to the top of Fairy Castle so more tough times lay ahead! Along this next section I heard yet another runner breathing hard on my tail but within moments there was a fall behind me. When I stopped and turned a female runner had taken a pretty nasty fall but from what I could make out she avoided any serious injury and once she was on her feet I turned and set off again.

The wind was so strong by now that it was pushing us up towards the Fairy Castle which meant it was easier than it might otherwise have been. As we turned left at the cairn there was now another downhill towards Three Rock that I felt like I was driving in third gear. The body refused to move any quicker and so I was passed by another handful along here before taking a left turn and 700m of running along what was effectively a river bed trail. Normally I’d be wary of foot landing on a trail like this but I was going too slowly to have to worry about any dodgy footfalls.

Another decent bit of descent and I was back over Tibradden summit again. From here on home it was all downhill and after negotiating the rocky path back down to the fire road I managed to summon some bit of strength and push it, mainly with the aid of gravity and a relatively smooth fireroad, to pass two people on the run home. Looking at my garmin data I clocked a 3:37 kilometre around here which surprised me a lot. Finished up in 62mins flat – a minute slower than last time I ran this course. Considering last weeks finish was 5mins quicker than last time I think that plainly shows there was something not right with me tonight. I’m putting it down to a bug I must have picked up as I was extreemly knackered all night afterwards too.

Thursday 9th May 2013 – Monday 13th May 2013 – Rest Days.
Unfortunately, I was laid low for the entire time between the IMRA run and now. I think I’ve finally got over the bug at last. Unfortunately though I had to pull out of the pacing gig for 4:15 in Kildare at the weekend. I’m hoping to go for a run tomorrow evening but I’ll be sure to take it easy in case I’m not fully recuperated. Definitely want to get to run Killarney this weekend. Suppose if I was to be philosophical about things I’m just happy I got sick now rather than around Portumna time. Hopefully I’ll get a clear road all the way through for the next 4½ weeks now! 

Week 18 Summary:
RTW: 2 from 7 days
DTW: 23.5km
DTY: 1,567.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment