Thursday 2 May 2013

McMillan 10k Plan - Week 2 session

Monday, 29th April 2013 – 11.8km Recovery Run
Easy recovery run this evening as the legs were still a little jaded from Saturday.


Tuesday, 30th April 2013 – 13.8km McMillan Session #3 - 1 x 2 miles + 4 x 1 miles @ 4:02/km 
The second major session of the McMillan 10km plan was in store for me this evening. I wasn’t dreading this session like I was the first but I was wary of tired legs and how they would hold up towards the last few splits. Regardless, I parked up and did an easy jog to the Furze Road for the start of the 1 x 2 mile split.

Immediately I knew I was goig too fast so once the GPS pace settled down I eased back a little and the pace settled just under 4;00/km, a few seconds up on target. I went through the 1 mile split at 3:56/km but things were beginning to feel a little tougher by now. With the new split pace showing on the watch it was now bang on 4:02/km target which I managed to maintain til the end. By the end of the 2 miles I was happy to slow down to recovery pace which lasted 5 minutes as per the plan.

The third mile passed relatively straightforward also but again I was beginning to feel it towards the end. I intended taking a 3 min break here but due to a miscalculation it turned out to be 4mins! The plan calls for 3-4mins recovery period though so I was still ok! This fourth split saw me lose focus and I found myself cruising along a bit too easily and when I looked at the pace halfway through I was out at 4:10/km! I upped the effort all the way home and finished in 4:07/km, the real damage having been done in the earlier segment.

For the final two splits I was more interested in finishing the session than trying to hit any kind of sub 4:00/km pace but was still a little disappointed with the 4:07/km pace for both. I think it was simply as a result of a heavy training load over the past while. The HR data seems to suggest a tiny portion of overtraining as the HR failed to go as high as expected in the later splits. Maybe tired muscles just couldn’t keep up with the HR??

Nonetheless, the session was now complete and I manage to do things the proper way this time, even if the paces were a little slower than desired. I compared the data when I got home though and to my surprise there’s been quite an improvement on the first 6 x 1mile session. The data shows:




So, 7 secs/km quicker this time out with almost identical HR data. That’s a nice improvement already so optimistically if things continue like this I may be sub-40 form by the time the plan ends in 6 weeks time!

Week 17 Summary (so far):
RTW: 2 from 2 days
DTW: 25.6km
DTY: 1,455.7km

No comments:

Post a Comment