Tuesday 28 January 2014

Raheny 2 miler and 5 miler races

Monday, 20th January 2014 – 25.6km with (20+10) mins @ MTP (4:31/km)
Met up with Anto for this run again. He was interested in a bit of faster running and this was in my plan so we headed off together. Intended to do just relaxing 5:30 kms all the way to Clontarf but in general these came in around 5:15/km (or quicker) instead. Just before we began the faster stuff we met Jamie (Fellow 1:40 pacer from Clontarf HM in November) at a set of traffic lights. I thought the fast pace might suit him but he declined and we parted company again.

The first 20mins of MTP were from the wind monument to the main entrance to Bull Island. Pace for the first km was 4:35/km but Anto started to push it a little around here and the rest of the kms came in around 4:30/km. Towards the last km Anto began to find it tougher maintaining pace so I took over the lead from here til the end of our 20 mins. A very easy jog to recover before we gradually got back to easy pace. The recovery allowed us 7 mins but we simply took off when the 1km was up (more like 6:10 recovery).

The second fast section of 10mins was feeling easy-ish for the first 5 mins but I think the GPS may have been slightly in error/too quick. The last 5 mins were a bit tougher but still managed to see it out easily enough. Another recovery period and we were jogging back up the Tonlegee Road towards home. Still felt grand along here and after realising I had been responsible for Anto running twice as far as he’d planned I felt it my duty to jog back to Ballymun with him. Plus, this conveniently pushed me across the threshold of a long run, finishing with 25.6km.

Very happy with this as I got the long aspect as well as the MTP aspect out of the way in this run, after misfiring at the end of last week! Great to have the distance on the clock too with it only being Monday.

Tuesday, 21st January 2014 – Rest Day
Felt a bit tired this evening and after doing a few jobs around the house I decided to take my first Rest Day in about 23 days.

Wednesday, 22nd January 2014 – 7.7km with Raheny 2 miler Race (3:57/km)
Raheny Winter League resumed with a 2 miler this evening on a perfect night for running. Did the usual lap warm-up before toeing the line. The start ended up being about 10 minutes late which seems to be a trend this Winter.

Unfortunately about 50m into the race I realised I’d never reset my watch and so the race was just being lobbed onto the warm-up. As I tried to figure out should I reset it or not I found myself getting caught up with faster runner’s pace so that by 400m into the race I was running much too fast and decided to ease off. I ran the remainder of the km on the watch independent of its data and it was only when it reset itself for the new km split that I started to believe the information. By now there was one or two going past me including the lady winner from the previous race. I think next time I’ll have to try and start with her and ease myself into the race gently like she does.

As I came around for the halfway mark my time of 6:25 for the first mile was shouted out to me by a marshall so I knew I was on target for sub 13mins. I just had to keep it together for the second lap but that was easier said than done. I started to feel Sunday’s effort in the final 1km and as I turned for home with 400m to go a young lad shot past me like as if it was a 100m sprint! There was simply no stopping him so I kept it honest all the way to the finish line to record a 12:56 which I was happy with. Still 8 seconds outside my PB but I’d be pretty positive that will fall in a month’s time when the 2 miler is held again.

Ran into Jamie/Killerz after the race and did another lap cool down with him before heading home.

Thursday, 23rd January 2014 – 11.9km Distance (5:28/km)
Felt a little tired after last night but no niggles whatsoever so did the usual loop at a very relaxed pace. Couldn't help thinking that these type of runs are quickly becoming my least favourite simply because they are so boring. Shows how much I am enjoying all the sessions and races where there’s a bit to think about in each run.

Friday, 24th January 2014 – 24.0km LSR (5:22/km)
Stopped off into the Phoenix Park this afternoon for an LSR. With yet another race on Sunday coming up the plan was to do the lower end of the range at a very easy pace which is what I did! Weather turned a bit crappy towards the end but it was another boring run for much the same reasons as last night. I did spot Alan/AMK but it was only after I passed him that I thought I should have ran with him for a few miles to ease the boredom. Next time!

Saturday, 25th January 2014 – 7.4km Distance (5:28/km)
It was evening time before I got out for this run and it was a real ‘tick the box’ type run. Short and slow in advance of tomorrow. Nothing else to report.

Sunday, 26th January 2014 – 17.6km with Raheny 5 Miler Race (4:08/km)
This was my first time doing the Raheny 5 miler – a race I’d heard about for many years (Even as far back as the time before I ran!) so was happy to use it as a bit of a bookend for my shorter focussed training in December and January. As it turns out I really am enjoying the faster stuff so will probably do a few more races over the next few weeks.

Did 2km of a warm-up before the race and lined up where I thought I should be. Unfortunately there were still plenty to join the crowd and by the time I saw the Sub 35min marker about 20m further up the road it was too late to change position! So, I started the race back with those looking to break 42mins or thereabouts which was far from ideal.

I used this hindrance to keep me relatively slow for the first few kms but in reality I ended up veering around slow runners and parked cars so much I would have used just as much energy regardless! By the time we got out onto the Howth Road things had settled down somewhat and now we were facing into a stiff cold breeze. I tried to shelter where possible but it was an awkward direction and it never really benefited me.
Early days...
Soon though we were turning left and down Sybil Hill Rd. Immediately things felt so much better with no wind to consider. Kept effort consistent through here and around the 2.5 mile mark I ditched my gloves as I was beginning to get too hot. Just before 3 miles I got a shout out from Niall/Meno which was a nice boost and then we were down onto the Coast Road. I just noticed Kate/CM at this point, about 100m ahead and on the Coast Rd as opposed to me just dropping down the hill to it. I had passed Helen/HA (who’d come in about 5 seconds after me in Wednesday night’s run) a little while back but she was now passing me again with just over a mile to go.
Race splits - Split 7 included most of the hill.

We turned left onto Watermill Road and there it was - the hill! It’s nothing when out for a jog but when you are beginning to redline it’s the last thing in the World you need! Helen started pulling away from me going up this hill and I just dug in trying to do my best. Eventually the incline levelled off and there was half a mile remaining. When we took the left hand turn I noticed Kate a little ahead at this stage and over the course of the next 100m I managed to drift past her. I offered the quick line about being ‘almost there now’ but in those circumstances I don’t know if it lends one iota of help! Another few turns and at last we were in the finishing straight where I tried to nail a few more places but there wasn't a whole pile left in the legs. Eventually I crossed the line for a 33:49 time and pretty much on a par with last weekend’s 8k race in Tuam. Reasonably happy with this as it’s a 5 mile PB by a minute. No doubt there was a bit of lag in the legs from a week of lots of speed so hopefully there is a lot more to come off that time over the course of the year.
Finish line (in orange).
Afterwards I met up with the Dunnes, Niall, Kate, MK, POM, Helen and a bunch of others for a very sociable after race experience. A group of us ran the course in reverse for a warm down before grabbing a cup of tea and several chocolate bars! Then it was off home to lounge for the evening!!

Week 3 Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 94.2km
DTY: 371.6km

No comments:

Post a Comment