Thursday 30 January 2014

Back in the swing of things

Monday, 27th January 2014 – 7.4km Distance (5:38/km)
Met with Anto once again and we went for a short recovery run after both racing PBs this weekend – Anto at a marathon(!) on Saturday and my own 5 miler. Legs were feeling pretty perfect this evening, probably as a result of the quality cool-down after yesterday’s race.

Tuesday, 28th January 2014 – 17.2km MLR with 10.75km @ MTP (4:38/km)
Splits.
I went to Clontarf with the intention of doing my Interval session but after my first km of warm-up I felt pretty lethargic and put it down to Sunday’s race. So, I changed my plan to do Thursday’s MLR run with tonights session. During the second km I upped the pace to the required range and hit 4:51/km, however when the following km came in at 4:40 I decided to throw in a heap of MTP kms and see how it went.

I ditched the jacket around this point as I was beginning to overheat and as expected I began to move even more freely after that. The effort felt very controlled and without over exertion. I kept this pace up all the way to the end of the Coastal path near Sutton and turned for home into the breeze. Thankfully this was gentle enough to just keep me cool without slowing me down by more than a few seconds per km. After 10.75km of MTP I arrived back at my jacket and called it quits with the faster stuff at that stage and after throwing the jacket back on I had an easy 3.5km left back to the car at 5:14/km. Very happy with this run.

HR Data - Never went above 150bpm.
Wednesday, 29th January 2014 – 7.4km Distance (5:19/km)
After 10pm this evening before I went out and I was feeling generally knackered. Due to the late start I truncated the run from the big loop to the 7.4k loop instead. Took it nice and handy and the HR never really went above 130 bpm yet the pace was actually not bad for that effort.

Week 4 Summary (so far):
RTW: 3 from 3 days
DTW: 32.0km
DTY: 403.6km

2 comments:

  1. John,

    Can I make an observation from reading your blog regularly? Are you following a set plan? You seem quite a lot to change from what your intention is to what you feel or what comes into your head during the run. From reading above you changed yesterday based on how you felt beforehand, and then when things weren't as bad as they seemed you changed again. Did this achieve the goal of either your MLR or your interval session in the end?

    Pete.

    ps well done on Raheny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete!

    Thanks re: Raheny!

    Yes, the plan I am following is the same as Alan/AMK & Vinny/Gavlor. It's taken from the Boston Marathon website and more information can be got from the 'Current Paces' tab at the top of the Blog.

    Essentially I aim to fit in all the sessions throughout the week but depending on how the body feels I may move things around. I also tend to do a little more than in the plan like the recent 5 miler & 8k races as well as the fortnightly Raheny Winter Race Series.

    So for example, my Interval night (Tuesdays) this week was moved to Thursday as the session was too similar to my 5 mile pace from Sunday. However, once I was on the run on Tuesday I felt I could sustain the MP kms without too much difficulty. My MLR (originally Thursday night's session) intended pace would be 4:50/km but I was happy to go that little bit faster instead.

    My next report will have the Interval session data - which I ended up doing last night - but suffice it to say that it went well and according to plan. Have to say that I'm really gaining from this plan so far. My goal marathon is likely to be Dusseldorf at the end of April so I will actually have an extra 3 weeks to this plan where I hope to kick on even more.

    We shall see!
    John.

    ReplyDelete