Tuesday 4 February 2014

Turning the focus to LSRs

Thursday, 30th January 2014 – 17.3km with 7 x 1km Intervals (4:08/km)
Wrecked tired when I got home this evening so I went to bed for an hour. A little better when I woke up I then went off to Clontarf once more to do an interval session which consisted of 7 x 1km @ 10k pace. A gradual buildup during the warm-up and before I knew it I was finished my first km in 4:07. The second split however was 3:59 and considering 4:15 was my target pace I was both happy and a little disappointed at this pace.

The plan said 2 mins of a recovery in between but I opted to go for 350m which I roughly calculated as approximately 2 minutes. Eerily it worked out so close to 2 mins for each recover that I probably would have been no more accurate had I the time actually on display.

The third km passed in 4:07 again so I was a bit closer to my target now. I was slightly benefiting from the wind so was happy to be up a few seconds. The fourth was just before my turnaround point on the coastal path and the last bit had me into the breeze which slowed me down to 4:13. The remaining three splits were on the way home and were completed in 4:06, 4:12 and 4:12. Even though the final two were into a slight breeze (mainly a cross wind) I was plainly getting tired at the same time. Overall very happy with the session as I felt controlled throughout it all and at an average pace of 4:08/km I’m glad it was well inside target.

Friday, 31st January 2014 – 6.5km Distance (5:29/km)
I was kinda rushed for this run so just had enough time for a bare minimum 6.5km run. Kept things nice and easy as have the LSR tomorrow.

Saturday, 1st February 2014 – 33.0km LSR with 4.7km @ MTP (5:17/km)
Met up with a few others (Olwyn & Joe, Niall, Paul and Mike) for this group long run. We began near Dun Laoghaire before making our way through Dalkey, up Killiney Hill (with us passing Bono’s house) and out to Shakill. Here we turned inland for the mountains and all the way up to Kiltiernan where we stopped for a mini drinks break. Up til this point we had been dealing with uphill inclines and strong wind but thankfully most of this was over at this stage. We added on about 5km by doing a loop down through Stepaside and past Belarmine before returning back to the shop for a final refill.

The general plan for the remaining 10km home was to take it at MTP pace. I had already done 10.7km of MTP during last Tuesday’s run so wasn’t too bothered about how much I fitted in this afternoon but went with it from the start regardless. I kept it going for the easy, downhill and downwind 4.7km until we got back to Shankill and had to stop to make a decision regarding directions. At this stage I just trotted back to the finish with Mike who was taking things a bit slower. In hindsight it was a good idea to limit the fast stuff because I was beginning to get new blisters on my ankles from the shoes and also the thrashing my legs took on that section led to sore thighs for me over the next couple of days. All in all a great bit of training (the av pace of 5:17/km is worth so much more considering the relentless wind and the hilly nature of the route).

Sunday, 2nd February 2014 – Rest Day
After the LSR yesterday and with real life taking priority I decided to make the prudent decision to take a rest day. Knackered all day so had no choice really!

So, a week of 89km - a little short of my intended 100km but not enough to be too worried about. Will try and get North of 100km per week once more. Will probably have to start doing doubles for this. Been struggling with energy levels recently so will drop a session next week to try and rectify the situation.

Week 4 Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 88.9 km
DTY: 460.5km

No comments:

Post a Comment