Wednesday 16 April 2014

Idiot alert...

Thursday, 3rd April 2014 – 6.0km Distance (5:31/km)
It was clear enough from the first few steps this evening that my knee was sore once again. I stuck with it in the hope that it might ease later but it never really did so I cut the run short at 6km.

Friday, 4th April 2014 – 8.8km Distance (5:05/km)
I had a physio session arranged for this afternoon and thankfully it was pretty straightforward. After a couple of diagnostic questions I was asked to do some leg raises deisgned to trigger the calves and the hamstrings. Apparently there’s plenty of strength in the calves but could be looser however the hammers are weak and tight. He have me a set of stretches for both muscle groups and reckons once they etretch out then the knee should see no more pulling from the fibres.

I popped out for a run afterwards and as it was a lovely evening I brought the total for the day up to about 10km.

Saturday, 5th April 2014 – 10.1km Castlebar parkrun (4:04/km)
I done a stoopid thing!!
Decided to run the Castlebar parkrun this morning but had planned on taking it easy. However, after 400m I was beginning to pass a few people who sprang off the start line a bit too energetically. Over the course of the following km I moved from 25th position to 10th. I maintained this til about halfway when a guy overtook me going up the big hill. I resisted the temptation to race him though and remained steady. I eased back a little on km 4 in respect to tomorrow’s race but the final km was a bit quicker again and I ended up in a time of 20:49 – A 40 second improvement on my last time around this course (although that day it was very windy and I’d done a long run the day before). I was happy with the time but was feeling a little nervous that I may have scuppered plans somewhat for tomorrows race!

Incidentally there was a kid in a Mayo jersey that beat me! I congratulated him afterwards and it turned out he is from Dublin and has just turned 10 years old but managed a 20:4x! He was meant to run in the National Championships on Sunday but was told he had to come West and attend his Uncle’s birthday celebrations instead!! Great running and one for the future.

When I returned home I did a few stretches as advised by the physio yesterday. No major issues with the knee. I then went out and did another short run to add almost 4km to my daily volume for a total of 10.1km.

Sunday, 6th April 2014 – 9.2km Belcarra 8k (4:13/km)
Thought I was ok at the start of this race but when I was going through km1 in 4:02 I knew it was tougher than expected. Obviously the 5km yesterday was having an effect but also the first half of the course was very windy. Never really got going after that as the legs were just too heavy and ended up 2 seconds slower than when I did this 2 years ago! Really regretted the 5k in the end but just gotta learn to be more disciplined and have more focus on proper races in future and not to ruin them with Parkruns!

Week 11 Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 101.5km
DTY: 1,337.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment