Wednesday 1 July 2015

Overcoming a hip injury

Monday, June 22nd: 6.1km Easy (5:30/km)
An easy run to get the week started. Hip injury still at me.

Tuesday, June 23rd: 12.0km Easy (5:22/km)
Planned on running with Roisin this evening but the hip is getting worse and after 500m of running at 6:15/km I was beginning to limp-run with the pain! I had to push on and run at a more natural pace at which the pain was far less. Still though it was quite tight and sore afterwards. Time to tackle this head-on at this stage…

Wednesday, June 24th: Rest Day
Since the hip injury wouldn’t go away and actually got sorer yesterday I decided to book in with my local physio across the road. I’ve had good success here before, but even so I was more hopeful than confident of getting a positive outcome. After a few minutes of poking around the problem area he carried out a few diagnostic test including getting me to do bridge (impossible!) and some other stretches. By the end of the 35 minutes he had managed to solve the issue and it had improved so much I was back able to complete the bridge. The advice was a couple of days rest and then I should be able to get back into things as normal. Delighted with that!

Thursday, June 25th: Rest Day
Injury felt almost 100% fixed today but I thought I’d still take it easy as directed by the physio.

Time of reckoning! I felt A1 today so ventured to the Phoenix Park once more for my LSR. Very hot and muggy again, but at least there was a breeze this week to help cool me down. The target was 26km and after venturing via the War Memorial Gardens I decided on a route to bring me up to 27km instead. The final 6km were completed at 4:45/km and felt a bit better than last week afterwards.

Next LSR will see me bringing the MP segment down to 4:40/km so no doubt will be tougher again. I will then start increasing the MP distance over the next few weeks. Fun times ahead!!

Saturday, June 27th: 6.1km Easy (5:15/km)
A very easy run around rural Tyrone. Ran this on my own and encountered very little traffic or pedestrians.

Sunday, June 28th: 24.3km LSR (6:14/km)
Joined Roisin with her LSR today. I knew the pace was going to be very manageable so figured I’d do at least half. As it was the effort and duration were perfect and we even managed to cover 24.3km on the footpaths of Omagh! There were a few spots where I’d be happier to do a workaround rather than tackle the urban cambered path with busy traffic alongside, but overall it was enjoyable.

So, that finishes off a week with two LSRs in three days where I initially thought I’d be taking a couple of weeks off due to injury!

Week Summary:
RTW: 5 from 7 days
DTW: 75.5km
DTY: 1,411.3km






No comments:

Post a Comment