Wednesday 23 September 2015

Confidence roller-coaster

Monday, August 31st: 7.1km Recovery (6:16/km)
Just an easy recovery run with Roisin to get back into things.

Tuesday, September 1st: 5.6km Easy (6:02/km)
This was meant to be a Tempo session for Roisin but she was still knackered after Saturday so we pulled the session early doors and just jogged home.

Wednesday, September 2nd: 12.1km Easy (5:19/km)
Pace was back to Easy again on this solo run and managed to get a slightly more impressive distance in!

Thursday, September 3rd: 12.5km Steady (5:10/km)
Now that last weekends HM race is beginning to leave the body I went out at lunchtime for this run along the Grand Canal and threw in some quicker paced stuff on the favourable surface alongside the canal.

Friday, September 4th: 10.0km Easy (5:33/km)
This was planned to be my LSR for the weekend but almost from the get go I felt jaded and awkward. Managed to complete 10km and called it quits at that stage.

Saturday, September 5th: 33.0km LSR (5:09/km)
I felt much better this morning when out for my second chance at my LSR. Immediately the pace was tasty and I thought about holding back a bit but gave in to a pace that felt ok. I took in the Poppintree Parkrun @ MP as part of this run after about 4.5km before continuing on at approx 5:05/km thereafter.By 27km things were beginning to get a little tougher so I slowed down a little bit to about 5:25/km. However, this was a bit too late as by about 30km I was really beginning to fall apart! I made it as far as 33km but quit at that, 2km short of goal distance.

Pretty disappointed afterwards but tried to reason that it was all a bit quick just one week after Tullamore and that if I had ran at a more suitable ‘Easy’ pace then I’d have managed the trip no problem.

Sunday, September 6th: Rest Day
The AI SF replay with the Dubs was on last night so all-in-all felt it was a convenient time to call in a rest day.

Week Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 80.3km
DTY: 2,209.5km

Monday, September 7th: 7.1km Easy (5:41/km)
Another lunchtime run but this time easier and shorter.

Tuesday, September 8th: 11.6km Easy (5:34/km)
This was a tempo run for Roisin after last weeks cancelled session. Altogether more straightforward and she could have ran for longer.

Wednesday, September 9th: 22.7km MP run (21.7km @ 4:39/km)
After my own dismal sessions last week I felt it would be good mentally and physically to do a 20km @ MP run this evening. So, I parked in Le Cheile’s track in Leixlip and after a 1km warm-up to get onto the canal path I started into the MP bit in a Westerly direction. The terrain was a mixture of grass and trail before opening into a better gravel path. Once the far side of Maynooth it reverted back to trail/grass. All this meant it was a little tougher than a main road equivalent and this was confirmed when I detoured via Carton House on the way home and for the same effort I appeared to be going a few seconds quicker. Ended up with almost 22km @ MP in the end so well happy with that as I could easily have done a few more on the day.
Confidence somewhat restored!

Thursday, September 10th: 15.4km Easy (5:34/km)
John joined me for this run as it was supposed to be a 20km run on tired legs. As it was I felt 15km was enough on the night as the weather turned and even though the legs were fine for further kms the mind was just bored!

Friday, September 11th: Rest Day
Took a rest day to recover from past two days.

Saturday, September 12th: 7.4km St. Anne's Parkrun (20:35)
Fancied giving a parkrun a proper blast, however on the morning itself it tiryned out to be a bit breezy. The legs were still a bit tired from Wednesday and so it was that at halfway in St. Anne’s I kinda gave up a little. I sped up again over the last km but by that stage I’d voluntarily given up about 20 seconds. A sub 20min was not in the system today so I think I made the right call in the end!

Sunday, September 13th: Rest Day
Not sure why as I can’t remember but took today off!

Week Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 64.2km
DTY: 2,273.7km

3 comments:

  1. Hi John, did you manage to run the Berlin marathon in less than 3 hours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, really enjoying reading the blog. Started reading it before Dublin this year. Kinda in the same spot target and PB wise myself. Hope the winter training is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there, nice to meet you

    If you don't mind, I would like to promote my blog.

    here's my blog address http://valuexhunter.blogspot.co.id/

    come visit if you interested. :)

    ReplyDelete