Wednesday 12 June 2013

Taper funk!

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 - Rest Day
Thursday, 6th June 2013 - 60.6km Cycle
Two days of non running...it must be taper time! I simply got lazy on Wednesday and took a rest day and then on Thursday I had arranged to go for a bike spin with a mate around North County Dublin. Not running but I'm sure it was every bit as useful as an easy run! Felt grand afterwards which was a little surprising.

Friday, 7th June 2013 - 12.1km Easy Run (5:00/km)
Saturday, 8th June 2013 - Rest Day
Sunday, 9th June 2013 - Rest Day
Pretty much the usual route for an easy run. Not a lot else to report. Went to the pub that night to watch the Ireland match and a few too many beers meant I was lazy and lethargic the next day and did nothing as a result. Disappointingly though this spread into Sunday also and I again failed to get myself out the door for a run. A real case of self-discipline slipping big time when in taper. I sometimes think I'd be better off just continuing as normal during taper rather than easing back as I invariably go to the opposite extreme!

Week 22 Summary:
RTW: 3 from 7 days(!).
DTW: 45.0km
DTY: 1840.1km

Monday, 10th June 2013 - 8.9km Easy Run with 4km @ MP (4:48/km)
Kept this run shorter than the usual loop but threw in a few MP kms just to ensure the legs understand what's required this Saturday. This left me surprisingly worried afterwards!

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 - Rest Day
Wednesday, 10th June 2013 - 7.3km Easy Run with 4km @ MP (4:37/km)
I had fully intended on going out for a run on Tuesday but had to go to Tesco in the evening and en route got caught in a traffic jam caused by an accident so that added 30mins to my journey and by the time I returned home it was too late.

I volunteered for the IMRA race tonight rather than run it and boy was it a bad decision. We had to endure the worst case of midges I have ever witnessed. It was only on the way home I noticed the bites on my skin and now it looks like I have the measles!
Attacked by midges!
When I got home I managed to head out for a quick run. I threw a few MP kms in again and it felt alright. A short, easy run tomorrow evening and then a leg loosener on Friday afternoon, then it's PB time on Saturday! I've decided to aim for 3:15 instead of 3:10. If that comes off I'll be very happy indeed but if I go for closer to 3:10 then I fear it could get ugly towards the latter stages. I just want to get a decent PB and can aim for 3:10 later in the year.

Week 23 Summary (so far):
RTW: 2 from 3 days.
DTW: 16.2km
DTY: 1856.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment