Thursday 27 March 2014

Mini recovery...

Monday, 17th March 2014 – Rest Day
We flew back into Dublin on Monday afternoon but I had a much earned rest day in the plan so I could go out and enjoy Paddy’s Day instead. Which I did!

Tuesday, 18th March 2014 – 9.5km Distance (5:46/km)
This was just a small run to get the legs turning over again. I could feel a bit of tiredness in them but thankfully no niggles. Ran this with Stephen who was home for a short trip from Philly.

Wednesday, 19th March 2014 – 5.7km Raheny 1 Miler (4:57/km)
Plan initially was to race this 1 miler but the tiredness remained in the legs so instead I decided to pace Roisin to her first 1 mile race. We settled on the arbitrary time of an 8 minute mile as the target but unfortunately we were just 2 seconds outside of that. Next time for sure! I followed this up with a cool down jog to bring it up to 5.7km…not very big mileage!

At last the legs were freshensing up a little so I went out for this Interval session. I had sacrificed the Tempo session as I reckoned I did a decent clip on Sunday to cover that part of my training. For this session I didn’t want to push things too hard after Barcelona so I aimed for 10k pace (4:10/km). However, as I was moving through the gears there was a little more available than expected and ended up doing close to 5km pace.

One thing I noticed though was the GPS went awry during the final set of reps. The graphs show the effort was there for the HR, but the pace skewing. The splits suggest it took 5:47 for the second last 600m split which obviously points to flawed technology! Regardless, quite happy with this session so soon after Barcelona.
                                       

Friday, 21st March 2014 – 15.0km Distance (5:25/km)
This was at an easy effort just to maintain the legs. Nothing much to report.

Saturday, 22nd March 2014 – 8.5km Distance (5:09/km)
Started off at an easy pace but split by split I started to up the pace without too much effort. Looking like a good session when halfway around an almighty hailshower descended and combined with a strong wind meant I had to take shelter from the horizontal bullets! When I got going again I was out of rhythm and cold so I made my way directly home, thereby aborting 3.4km of my run. Not happy about that as I needed the mileage for the week!

Sunday, 23rd March 2014 – 32.5km LSR (5:28/km)
It was late in the evening by the time I got out for this run – typical feelings of dread after having the LSR hang over me all weekend! It was almost dark when I started off so that ruled out the park and the Coastal Path would be too short for this. So, I cam up with a plan for zig-zagging my way in towards Phibsbrough until I hit 16km when I would retrace my steps back home.

The first few km were probably the toughest in hindsight as I was cold and struggling to warm up. Eventually I did though and the route I chose meant I was turning into a different type of street quite often which helped to distract from the usual boredom of the LSR. All the time I was trying to calculate where my turning point would be and adding in extra streets which I’d overlooked in my plans. It turned out that the corner of Whitworth Road and Swords Road was approximately 15.6km so I chose to turn here as opposed to dealing with lots of extra traffic crossings for the sake of a few hundred metres. 

On my return journey I managed a sneaky extra loop of about 1km to make up the shortfall and then it was onwards home as per the plan. One thing I’d neglected to consider was that the return journey is predominantly uphill, albeit no major climb but uphill all the same! Thankfully it turned out to be fine with only the short steeper parts in anyways slowing me down. Arrived back home with 32.5km on the clock in just over 2:56 so happy with my evenings work. Felt pretty good afterwards too so looks like no ill effects from last weeks marathon – Yay!

So, a chunk down on the 100km weekly target but mitigating circumstances as I was recovering from Barcelona. Back into the thick of things for next week though...!

Week 10 Summary:
RTW: 6 from 7 days
DTW: 86.7km
DTY: 1,149.9km

2 comments:

  1. You could have just run to the southside instead of all those zig-zags ;-) You coming west anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mu running powers diminish the further South I go...
      Down West next weekend for the Belcarra 8k but not near Gaillimh! Must try and get down there over the next month or two, possibly get a bit of MTB'ing in Derroura too.

      Delete