Friday 21 March 2014

Tiny Taper

Monday, 10th March 2014 – 11.9km Distance (5:26/km)
Knackered all day after my LSR last night (only finished up at 10:30pm and just managed to fall asleep by 2am!) so really didn't fancy running this evening. However, I'd planned to meet Anto again and it was such a beautiful day I just had to go out for a short while at least! As it was we kept the pace nice and slow but I was still struggling to keep up at times! Made it around eventually and was shattered then for the evening.

It was only tonight that I realised the past couple of weeks have consisted of about 110km each week and with this amount of mileage I haven’t really been increasing my calorie intake. I think this is the first time I have ever thought that I should do this as I've always had either enough incoming food or outgoing energy. At the moment though I think an energy deficit is beginning to appear so I’ll have to try and grab a bit of extra nourishment for the longer runs and for after sessions over the next few weeks.

Tuesday, 11th March 2014 – 12.8km Tempo: 2 x 3.5km @ MTP (4:31/km)
With Barcelona this weekend I decided to just go with one session this week as opposed to the usual two and the Tempo workout won the battle. I didn't want to risk injury with the Interval paces so the easier MT pace seemed the most advisable. I ran this in the PP on the way home from work by doing a few laps of the Furze Road/Ordnance Road. There was a decent wind every time I veered onto the Chesterfield Ave section that slowed me a little. Overall the run went well and the splits show a good consistency with just a slight deviation near the end of the second set where the wind played its part. Happy with the run and it’s the final session now until after Barcelona.

Wednesday, 12th March 2014 – 13.0km Distance (5:28/km)
I returned to the PP for this as an easy Distance run on the way home from work. Feeling reasonably good after yesterday evening’s session.

Thursday, 13th March 2014 – 6.5km + 10.0km Distance (5:23/km)
Got out early for a short run before work and then managed another 10km in the PP once more on the way home from work. Everything out of the way early to allow me get out for a bit of dinner and a few drinks for my birthday this evening!

Friday, 14th March 2014 – Rest Day
Tired when I got home from work and with Barca on the horizon I decided to opt for a rest day today. Fly out to Spain first thing in the morning.

Saturday, 15th March 2014 – 5.9km Distance (5:42/km)
Didn't get a great sleep last night and was up so early that it was not a great sign for tomorrow. Transfer from airport was going by the Expo so I called in on the way. Pretty good expo which was well packed. Picked up my number and t-shirt (which was very disappointing given that Asics were a main race sponsor. I noticed they had several much nicer t-shirts available at €25 each, a trend I’ve seen with Asics before too!).

I continued on to the hotel afterwards before getting out for an easy 6km run around Parc de la Ciutadella – the place was thronged with people learning trapeze, another group doing tight-rope walking as well as bongo players and hammocks all about the place. It seemed like Electric Picnic was transported!

Finished up in time to go to the pub next door to watch Ireland beat France in Paris and win the 6 Nations Championship – Allez les Verts!

Week 9 Summary (so far):
RTW: 6 from 6 days
DTW: 60.1km
DTY: 1020.3km

2 comments:

  1. Just dipping into your blog again. Nice run in Barca. (got time from boards). Remind me what is your goal spring marathon that your BAA programme is building towards. Manchester?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Colm,
    thanks for your comment.

    The goal marathon is Dusseldorf on April 27th. Apparently it's nice and flat with just a few bridges causing any elevation on-course. I'm still undecided about my target...hoping for 3:10 but may ease to 3:15 if confidence is in question...

    I originally planned to do Manchester with Alan/AMK but decided against that as the timing just wasn't right with me already committed to Barcelona 3 weeks beforehand. I'm hoping the 6 weeks to Dusseldorf should be enough and even this week I feel i am over Barca already so 2.5 weeks more of tough stuff and then taper.

    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete