Thursday 6 March 2014

Final Raheny Winter Series 2 mile race

Monday, 3rd March 2014 – 7.4km Distance Run (5:35/km)
An easy paced leg loosener which failed to loosen the legs very much! Could feel the effects of yesterday quite plainly still.

Tuesday, 4th March 2014 – 11.9km Distance Run (5:17/km)
Met Anto for this run and it started off as a pleasant amble but evolved into a decent effort by halfway through til the end. Looking at the splits afterwards it seems the pace wasn’t as fast as expected but the effort was there!

Wednesday, 5th March 2014 – 
I was due a session last night but the legs weren’t up to it so my new plan was to have an Interval type session tonight incorporating the 2 mile race in Raheny. This early morning run therefore was a bid to get some life in the legs. Didn’t quite work as I’d hoped for though and was feeling tired and tight most of the day. Think there is something awry with Garmin data though as the Av Pace would have been a deal faster than 5:49/km. It seems to be having difficulty in differentiating between Av Pace and Av Moving Pace.

I had a few ideas about how to approach this but by the time I was running my first km @ 4:12/km (10k Pace) I resorted to the ‘easiest’ option of 1km @ 10k, 2miles @ race pace, 1km @ 10k. This resulted in a good session. The pre & post race kilometres were pretty straightforward. For the race itself I decided I’d start very slowly. I passed about 5 people in the first 800m but they were the low hanging fruit. Along the remainder of the lap I managed to get by another 5 or 6 and went through the first mile in 6:39 which was quite a bit down on the more usual ~6:20 opening lap. During the second lap I fell into a higher effort as the targets were now further apart and required more work. A handful more were passed along here but as I turned the corner for the final straight one of my victims reappeared to float past me. I had foreseen this moments earlier though as he had a very relaxed style so was obviously running well within himself. I kept it steady to finish in a time of 13:09 as called by the marshal but the garmin says it was 13:03 so a little confused about that. Doesn’t really matter anyways as there was a good dose of quality in the run and that was the main thing. Considering the easy first mile I was actually quite happy with my finishing time.
Splits from 2 mile race.

I spent about 60 seconds recovering before setting off on a slow jog for 300m before starting into another fast kilometre clocking in at 4:12 before jogging the remainder back to the race finish. So, a shortish session tonight but it did the trick for what was required. My plan for the remainder of the week is an easy Distance run Thursday with a recovery AM run on Friday followed by a PM MLR run in the Phoenix Park before heading West to Mayo for the weekend. Hopefully I’ll catch the inaugural Castlebar parkrun on Sat morning with a 35k+ LSR on Sunday which will involve no faster stuff this time out.

Week 8 Summary (so far):
RTW: 4 from 3 days
DTW: 32.3km
DTY: 883.1km

No comments:

Post a Comment