Tuesday 9 June 2015

Bob Heffernan 5k

Monday, May 18th: 5.0km Easy (5:37/km)
Don’t remember much about this run to be honest and looking at the pace it was just an easy run to tie me over for tomorrow’s race…

Down in Wexford today for a meeting so it was a long drive back directly to Enfield for this race. Arrived around 7:25pm, so managed to get registered in time to go for a very short chat with a few of the guys and then a nice trot down to the start line brought it up to 2km.

It was a lovely evening for it and after a few minutes of a wait we were marched from a side road onto the main road to the official start line. This helped ease out the congestion somewhat and once we started there was a little freedom. However, I had positioned myself too far back so it still meant meandering around slower runners before hitting my proper rhythm about 500m into the race. There was a slight headwind for the first km before we turned a sharp left hander onto a backroad. Thankfully though the wind was light enough not to make a difference really, especially at the start.
Photo courtesy of Peter Mooney
Kept on with a good pace for another few minutes before the heavens opened with a shower of hail that lasted for about 4 minutes. The body language utterly changed from feeling good to miserable in the space of a few steps! Thankfully once it finished it was perfect from there to the finish. In the final km I was beginning to struggle a little bit but then so were most of those around me. Once I was up and over the short humpback bridge it was time to leg it for the final 500m or so. A small chicane as we entered the car park and over the line in a time of 20:22(gun time). I was very happy with that. I ran 19:58 (watch time) here two years ago and that stands as my current PB, so the hope is to break through that over the next few weeks before concentrating on the longer stuff for Berlin.

Km Splits: 3:57, 4:00, 4:08, 4:12, 4:01.

Wednesday, May 20th: 7.4km Recovery (6:06/km)
Went out for a slow recovery around the small loop with Roisin this evening. Legs feeling very well after last night’s race.

Thursday, May 21st: CH: 5.4km 1 Mile Race (5:58)
The club held a 1 mile race on the track this evening. The crowd was sub divided into four races with the heats getting progressively quicker. I positioned myself into the third group as I was optimistically aiming for between 5:50 – 6:00. As it turns out I was quite happy with a run of 5:58. I only ever ran one mile race before and that was a 5:50 in the Raheny Winter League 18 months ago. Getting there slowly!

Friday, May 22nd: 11.9km Easy (5:42/km)
Another easy paced run to keep ticking over after the race last night. Nothing much to report. Met with Anto and we did a few loops in Albert College Park in DCU.

Saturday, May 23rd: 9.8km Steady (5:14/km)
Had a fair bit of wine last night so I wasn’t at all sure how this was going to go today but to my complete amazement I managed a steady pace that felt pretty effortless! I was wearing a new pair of runners that I assumed was the main reason but I’ll have to see it happen again to confirm if they are indeed ‘super-runners’!

Did a similar type run as Friday but with Roisin rather than Anto this time. Nice way to round off the week.

Week Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 58.7km
DTY: 1,059.8km

No comments:

Post a Comment