Tuesday 16 June 2015

Focus on Berlin begins!

Monday, June 1st: 15.5km Easy (6:16/km)
Still in Tyrone so I joined Roisin for her LSR. Very windy for this one and I was bloody freezing throughout. All this on the 1st of June???!!

Tuesday, June 2nd: 6.4km Easy (5:20/km)
Met up with John for an easy run after his marathon on Sunday. Thought it would be a very gentle pace but he ended up pushing it, obviously still living on a high since the race!

Wednesday, June 3rd: 8.5km Steady run (Around 5:05/km)
Forgot my watch for this run during lunchtime at work. Kinda guessing the pace but happy it was a good steady run regardless.

Thursday, June 4th: 9.8km Recovery (6:00/km)
Neither myself nor Roisin were interested in a club session this evening so we went for a leisurely run instead. Having said that I'm not convinced we both found it equally as leisurable!

Big run of the week. This is the first Berlin-focused run in my plan. After 29km last weekend I knew a more structured 22km should be very doable. Then to add some quality I threw in a 5km segment towards the end at MP. From my current race results MP (via McMillan) is currently at 4:45/km. This felt quite achievable and seeing as I have struggled with upping the pace for these type of MP runs in the past I expected 5km would again be a manageable duration.

Parked the car near the Catleknock entrance of the Phoenix Park and did one large loop before arriving back to the car with 10.5km on the watch. Thankfully I was able to change my t-shirt here from a long sleeve to a short sleeve and this made things much easier in the warmth of the afternoon. Continued on with a loop of the Furze triangle before starting the 5km MP section at the top of Chesterfield Ave. The first 3km were slightly downhill with the wind at my back and as one might expect this was relatively straightforward. After the turn at the zoo I was slightly uphill up the North Road but at least the wind was mainly blocked by the trees in the zoo. So, all completed with just a cool down of 3km left back to the car. Job done! I am planning on keeping an element of MP kms in most of my LSRs so this was a good confidence building start. Plan is to improve race results which will then lead to a reduction in MP so that I will probably train mostly at 4:40/km for those segments.

Saturday, June 6th: 5.4km Hartstown Parkrun (21:29)
I was out for a few drinks last night and that combined with the after effects of my LSR yesterday and the strong winds this morning I knew there would be no PBs today for me! Instead I ran a comfortably hard race and finished in 21:29. The wind made things tougher than planned though so I was very happy to be finished!

Sunday, June 7th: 9.0km Recovery (6:18/km)
Just an easy recovery run with Roisin on the second half of her LSR. I was wearing the softer Ravennas and felt surprisingly comfortable.

Week Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 76.6km
DTY: 1,195.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment