Monday 30 December 2013

Manulla 4 Mile race

Monday, 23rd December, 2013 - 12.2km Intervals 3x(800m/600m/600m) @ 5k pace (5:10/km)
Last weeks intervals were at MTP which I found quite straightforward. It was only later that evening that I discovered all future intervals would be quicker and therefore more difficult! This was the first of these sessions. Each rep consisted of 800m, 90 secs recovery, 600m, 90 secs recovery and 600m before a 4minute recovery in between each rep. The pace was 5k pace which I 'declared' to be between 4:00 and 4:10/km. Having not ran a fast 5k for a long time I knew my current pace was a bit off so I gave myself a decent range to hit.

Before the run I pre-programmed the session into my watch. Unfortunately due to it being my first 'workout' I ended up fiddling with the watch around 1km into my warm-up and accidentally set the session off! I hesitated for a second before realising I had no choice but to dive in and begin! As it turned out I managed the first rep ok - it felt tough but I hit my target ranges, however I wasn't exactly looking forward to the next two reps!

It was a very blustery evening to tie in with my quick session so when my second rep recorded intervals at 4:12, 4:19 & 4:09 I knew conditions were conspiring against me. The 4:19 was primarily uphill also. I was now really struggling to keep pace but given the last rep was mostly back on the flat I managed to eke out 4:10, 4:14 & 4:08.

So, overall a bit of a struggle but am hopeful the numbers will be much improved on a calmer day.

Tuesday, 24th December, 2013 - 6.5km Distance (5:10/km)
This was a short run to pick up my car after being out for a few beers the night before. I took advantage of the South Westerly wind and managed the final few kms at a decent clip. Glad the car wasn't much further away all the same!

Wednesday, 25th December, 2013 - 16.1km MLR (4:53/km)
Christmas Day down West brought a beautiful afternoon for running.I did my usual 10 mile route where I managed to hold a steady clip of 4:53 all the way around. Got a little bit tired around 7 miles but managed to up the effort again over the final 2 miles. Great run and set me up well for the Christmas dinner to follow!

Thursday, 26th December, 2013 - 7.6km Manulla 4 Mile Race (4:13/km)
The by-now traditional Manulla 4mile Stephen's Day race took place at noon at the local Soccer Club. Approximately 200 people turned out for this on what was again almost perfect conditions (a small amount of surface ice at one corner had to be carefully negotiated). I lined up about 3 rows back from the front and after a 10 minute delay for late registrations we were away.

This is a hilly route with about 7 short but steep hills of 10m or more dotted along the course so it's not exactly PB material. My first km came in at 3:57 which considering it included two of those hills was a bit fast so early. I kept a good pace for the next few kms, passing a handful but being passed by a couple of others. Over the course of the final 2 miles there wasn't much changing of places but I did get passed by a couple of guys going over the final hill. An indicator that although my pace was decent I don't have the required strength towards the end of short races yet - hopefully though that will come over the next few weeks.

I kept a decent rate over the final 400m to maintain a wide gap to the guy behind me and ended up coming across the finish line in 27:33 and 31st place. This was a 90sec improvement on last year when I ran even though I was pretty sick at the time. Quite happy at maintaining the 4:13/km pace over a hilly 6.5km course so looking forward to running the Tom Brennan over a flat course in the Phoenix Park next Wednesday.
Week 51 Summary (so far):
RTW: 4 from 4 days
DTW: 42.4 km
DTY: 3,784.9 km

No comments:

Post a Comment