Tuesday 31 December 2013

Out with the old and in with the new...


(Hear Jimi play in the new year from 1:00 into this video!)

Monday, 30th December 2013 - 14.0km with 
Intervals: 3 x 2km @ 10km pace (4:13/km)
Nice lie-in this morning meant that it was early afternoon before I got out for this run. With my intention to do the 5km race on Wednesday I decided to move the Interval session for the week forward to today, so I drove to the Phoenix Park. After a 3km warm-up I decided to do these intervals along the roads of Wednesday's race for a little extra familiarity. I really love this loop as it's pretty much flat and at about 2.6km it's not too long.

The first 2km interval was probably a little tougher than I'd expected. I'd planned on 4:15/km as my target pace (10km PB is 42:22 = 4:14/km) and found the little bit of wind to be making the run just that extra bit tough. Managed to claim paces of 4:18/4:11 for these 2km. At this stage I ran back towards my car to dispatch my cap and jacket.

This seemed to do the trick as my next Interval was a little more manageable with splits of 4:08/4:13/km. I was meant to take 3 mins between reps but on the first rest period I ended up taking a little extra as I had to reach my car and throw my stuff into it, so that this was more like 4mins. The second rest period was kept to 3 mins however. The final interval began well with a 4:15 first km, but the second split was fading a way a little before I had to rally somewhat towards the end to grab a 4:14 split. For one of the first times in a long, long time I had to slow to a walk for 45 seconds just to regain breath. A final 3.5km meant I tagged on 14km for the day with a very satisfying session in the middle.

Tuesday, 31st December 2013 - 11.9km Distance run (5:01/km)
Another very relaxed day of hols meant that it was early evening before I got out for this Distance run. The perfect run for recovery from yesterday's session and the race tomorrow, I kept things easy and did the 11.9km route at a comfortable enough 5:01/km. With 3k to go I eased off to 5:25/km in order to avoid weariness for tomorrow, before picking it up again over the last 800m.

Under pressure for a few pints tonight with it being NYE and all but will hopefully be reasonably good with tomorrow's race on the horizon. I've dodged a couple of short races already over the holiday season but really intend running this regardless as it could be a real marker for me for the new year.

Week 52 Summary (so far):
RTW: 2 from 2 days
DTW: 25.9km
DTY: 3,835.8km



1 comment:

  1. Nice log, have it saved as a favourite. I'm interested to see how you adapt your plan to the races that you have lined up.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete