Monday 25 February 2013

Double-session Sunday

Sunday, 24th February (afternoon) – 17.2km with 13km @ MP Run
I had contemplated going back out for an easy run last night but decided I’d be better served putting full effort into an MP run today instead. So, I drove down to Clontarf for midday and headed off along the prom towards Sutton. The day was pretty cold so I went with a compression top, Long sleeve t-shirt, short sleeved t-shirt and a pretty warm top on the outside along with cap and gloves with a snood stored in my pockets just in case!

After the first km I had settled nicely into stride however a few minutes later I received a light shower of hail. Thankfully this was done in no time and by the time I got to the wooden bridge to Bull Island I stepped up the effort. My plan was to hit 150bpm for most of the remainder of my run but in reality I averaged out at 148bpm which I’m taking to be close enough. The pace however was much slower than MP (4:37/km). Much of the time I barely got into the 4:4x’s. When I got to the Sutton end (8.6km) I discarded the top layer, hat and gloves. Immediately I felt more energetic but that only lasted about 1km and I reverted back to type. The gentle breeze I faced into on the outward leg was now helping me ever so slightly so many of these kms came in at 4:45 or so.
When I reched the wooden bridge for the second time I decided to ease off back to recovery pace for the final 3km back to the car. So, a reasonable amount of work at MP effort again today but I’d prefer to see the equivalent times coming down very soon! I drove home via Sutton to pick up my clothes and managed to get home just in time for Ireland’s abject performance against the Scots. I think I hear Declan Kidney’s taxi pulling up outside…!
Where did it all go so horribly wrong, Dec?
Sunday, 24th February (evening) – 21.0km Slow recovery run
Suitably browned off after the rugby I dawdled for the rest of the afternoon. So, by twilight I decided to go back out for a recovery run to forget about the result and to add a few miles to the weekly total. I set off with the intention of doing 10-12km but with the pace being very controlled and easy I then decided to keep it going until I felt myself getting tired. Before too long more I had calculated that I was now past the 70mile mark for the week and a little detour allowed me to bring up the distance for this run to over 21km. The final few kms were a little tiring, more so on the general body than on the legs, however I’m very glad I got out to do it as it was a great evening for running.

So, a total of 8 runs this week with 73 miles included which comes in as the biggest ever week of training for me. Also, 108 miles in the 9 days since last Saturday week, so have to be pleased with that!

Week 8 Summary:
RTW:   8 from 7 days
DTW:   117.6km
DTY:   649.6 km

No comments:

Post a Comment