Wednesday 13 February 2013

Treading water

Mon, Feb 11th - 8.9km Recovery Run
Another recovery run just to ease the legs back into it after the CPHT. Felt like I was plodding a fair bit in parts. Beginning to think the issue with right groin is causing the tenderness in left quad by over-compensating during footfall.

Tue, Feb 12th - 12.4km with 2 x 2km @ LT pace
Decided that I’d test the waters for a bit of speed this evening. The plan was to do a few 2km intervals however, after the first rep the body was struggling to respond. The groin niggle was still there and just general tiredness in the legs meant the expected 4:2x pace just wasn't happening. The HR was even struggling to get into the 150’s (LT Target=155bpm) which meant I wasn't pushing the cardio system sufficiently (simply because the legs were still too knackered!). So, I managed a second rep which was a little better pace-wise but it all just seemed to be too much too soon after the weekend and called it quits with the faster stuff at that point, before continuing on a few more easy kms 'til I got home. 
At least this has focused my mind to take it easy for the rest of the week and hope that some slow recovery-paced runs manages to revitalise the legs. Target plan for Saturday will probably now be decided on the morning!

Wed, Feb 13th - 8.9km Progression Run
The weather has been pretty foul so far this week so as the post title suggests it feels like I'm not only literally treading water the whole time but also in a metaphorical sense in that I'm just tipping along 'til Saturday comes and then goes! 
Tonight I threw on a pair of Kayano’s which are half used but still have a decent amount of life left in them yet. After wearing the Brooks for most of the past 2 months it was only now that I realised for sure how much extra cushioning the Asics’ have. The legs felt so much better having a bit of protection from the footpaths! This all meant that I was bouncing along for much of the run tonight and even though I said I’d keep things very slow til Saturday I found my splits coming down further and further. By the time I had returned home I had cut 3.5mins off the same 8.8km course from my run two nights ago! So, I think this has made my mind up that Brooks simply aren't the solution to Asics’ obscene price increases and I'm back on the lookout for a decent sale again!
Also, I made sure to do a few stretches on the problematic groin before and after the run. Thankfully it behaved much better than last night and the resulting quad ache was much better too. Hopefully it’s the start of things taking shape for the weekend!

Week 7 Summary (So far):
RTW:  3 from 3 days
DTW:  30.2km
DTY:  467.1km

No comments:

Post a Comment