Wednesday 27 February 2013

Time to crank it up

Monday, 25th February – 11.8km Recovery Run with 10 x strides
A very easy recovery run this evening. Felt great for first couple of kms but slowly I started feeling the weekend’s running hit me as the run progressed. It’s only now that I’m learning the real worth of a properly slow (5:4x/km) recovery run and not a 5:15/km ‘easy’ run!
I was feeling like it was a read plod for the middle section so I threw in 10 sets of strides towards the end just to change things up and to ward off the boredom. It seemed to work well so I think I’ll do similarly for future runs.

Tuesday, 26th February – 11.8km Easy Run
Felt a little less tired but a little more DOMSy from Sundays two runs so I decided I’d try an easy paced run around the 5:15/km pace.  Things went well from the start and I was actually alarmed at my HR being in the early 120’s for the first half of the run when I’d have expected it to be about 10bpm for the 5:0x/km pace I was putting in. From km6 onwards the HR did eventually rise when I met a couple of hills but still remained surprisingly low. I’m finding the past 10 days that even though I want to run faster my HR is staying lower than expected so I’m assuming it must be the legs being tired that’s the limiting factor… Finished off the run still feeling pretty decent.

Wednesday, 27th February – 17.3km with 2 X 5km @ LT
With the HM on Sunday I felt this evening would be the last day for a tough session so that I could recover in time. So, I took a quick spin across to Clontarf and parked up before hitting the promenade to do my 2 x 5km @ LT session. On my first few steps I ran into PaulieC for the second time in about 6 weeks. We really should arrange a run together if we meet again! 
I had planned to run the LT @ between 4:20 – 4:23/km which would get me a HM time of sub 92mins. This was an aggressive pace seeing as I’ve not done a hell of a lot of faster stuff. The general pace for previous LT runs was between 4:30 to 4:35/km so it was going to be tough.

After a couple of easy kms warm-up I began the LT stuff. First couple of kms was ok but it began to get tougher after that. Once again, I was struggling to raise the HR high enough but at least the pace seemed to be keeping steady within my goal range. It really was a perfect night for running but I did get a feeling the slightest of breezes was behind me for this outward section. After 5km @ LT I eased off for a couple of kms. 

I ran all the way to the end of the prom – just shy of Sutton -  and shortly after turning I started into the second 5km @ LT. As I figured, there was just about a breeze blowing into my face but it was almost negligible. However, I still found this session to be a bit tougher than the first. A couple of times, where I felt I was holding the pace steady, the Garmin was telling me I was 10s/km down so I definitely doubted the watch’s accuracy here. I had debated finishing up after 3km but the closer I got the more I realised the value in finishing out the full session and 5km later I eased back up to recovery pace and jogged the 4km back to the car. 

So, glad that is over as it felt tough. Happy with the numbers in comparison to previous LT sessions and if I add the 2 x 5km’s together it was just outside my 10km PB. However, there’s still lots of work to do as I definitely couldn’t hold that pace for 21.1km so I think I will start off on Sunday closer to 4:30/km and aim to increase up to 4:20/km over time (if possible!). Even though Bohermeen is not a goal race it will still give a clear indication of where I stand and the work left to do before I get to Rotterdam in mid-April.


LT Update - Feb 27th
Week 9 Summary (so far):
RTW:   3 from 3 days
DTW:   40.9km
DTY:    690.5 km

No comments:

Post a Comment