Monday 11 February 2013

Skiing, sloth and salvation (Part 1)

My Alpine running route.
Wed, 23rd Jan – 14.4km Recovery run
This was more a leg stretcher after the last nights tough run. Legs were feeling pretty decent but the body in general a little tired. I’m pretty sure I’m not getting enough sleep now that I’ve upped the mileage since xmas. I’ve always been far more of a night owl than an early riser so will need to try hitting the sack a bit earlier in future.

Thur, 24th Jan – 11.8km Recovery run
At the start of this run the legs were feeling fresh enough, but then as the run went on my form got lazier which led to a plodding style at various stages before I wisened up each time. The past two recovery runs were longer than normal because I’m trying to get ahead of the curve mileage-wise this week seeing as I’m heading away to Austria skiing tomorrow morning. I have bright ideas about getting in a run each day but the reality could well be much different!

Fri, 25th Jan – 21.0km LSR run
My LSR was delayed for a couple of reasons so by the time I got out it was bucketing down rain. I planned to do 2 large loops which would give me approx 28km and then to add on a bit more to bring me up to 30km+. Unfortunately though my spirits were broken on the first loop with the ankle deep puddles and general crapness of the weather. Then when I was 15km into it I started to consider packing it in at the end of this loop. With just 3km to go the body was now as weak as the mind and the final 15 mins was pretty tough so that was it. It’s times like these that I wonder is the 50km in a few weeks time such a good idea?!?


Ski Trip - Sat, 26th Jan – 20.0km LSR Run
First day in Austria and the weather is as cold as you’d expect. Around -6C for most of this afternoon. A quick visit to the local Tourist office and a very helpful chat with the rep meant I was armed with a raft of options for running while here. Back to the hotel and a quick change of clothes and I was away on my first run.
There is a very good route running along the valley bed from Ischgl in both directions. My first option was to head towards Galtur which appeared about 9-10km away. The paths are snow covered, but well packed which makes running quite easy on them. At one or two steeper parts there were grip issues but nothing major. The routes nearly always run parallel to the cross-country ski trails so I met a few of them on my run.

Sun, 27th Jan – 8.4km Hill Run
Lovely conditions this morning led to a great day of skiing on the slopes. I managed to coax myself into returning to the hotel with enough time to get a nice run in before it got dark. I aimed for the opposite direction in Kappl today which would be 10km and the plan was to get the skibus back to Ischgl afterwards. The first few kms were hillier than expected and after my day on the pistes I found them to be really tough. After about 4km though the path I was following turned off road and unfortunately it had not been groomed as the other snow trails yesterday. This all meant it was unrunnable so I had no option but to turn back for Ischgl. Of course this meant going up those same hills again! After about 6km I felt my right arm getting very sore as a result of a tumble I took just before I finished up skiing for the day. As the effort eased off on the downslopes so too did the pain. Luckily, after taking a couple of panadol the pain subsided and thankfully the worst appears over.
Looks worse than it felt...
A big week overall and managed to hit the 110km marker so happy with that.

Week 4 Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 110.7km
DTY: 340.9km

No comments:

Post a Comment