Thursday 14 March 2013

5mins closer to Boston


Monday, 11th March – 8.5km Easy Run
A pretty horrible windy and bitterly cold day during work today so I was dreading going out tonight. However as part of my drive for quality within quantity I decided I’d do a quick 8.5km loop which would keep me out for minimal time yet also get the blood circulating with the effort required. This worked well and before I knew it I was home again without ever getting too cold. Thankfully the paths were dry and ice-free so the only thing that I had to contend with was a fierce Northerly wind that I managed to avoid for the most part.

Tuesday, 12th March – 11.8km with 7km @ MP (4:34/km)
Weather was much improved this evening with just a crisp chill in the air but no wind thankfully. Decided to push it again for 7km @ MP. The effort seemed high for much of it which is a little disheartening considering it was only 7km of an 11.8km run. Fully aware that with a taper and fresh legs it will feel a little easier but thoughts of 5 times more last night’s 7km seem very optimistic at this stage. Nevertheless I will persevere and hope for the best.

Wednesday, 13th March – 17.3km Easy Run (4:56/km)
Today I am officially old, I have turned M35 and no longer considered just a youthful ‘M’!! On the flip side I’m now 5mins closer to London and Boston qualifying times though, so I guess every cloud does have a silver lining!

This evening I was limited by time as I had to be back home to watch Arsenal’s personal birthday gift to me by pulling off a most unlikely comeback against Bayern in the Champion’s League. They came damn close in the end, something even I never believed they would manage but alas we’re out and another season is over again :-(

The run itself was classed as ‘Easy’ but at times definitely felt like I was pushing it. Pace was 3h30m marathon pace but last night I wouldn’t have come close to getting the full distance. I decided toward the end of the run that a couple of recovery days would be required in advance of Tralee and that’s what I’m gonna do. Hopefully the body feels a little fresher come Saturday.

Week 11 Summary (so far):
RTW:   3 from 3 days
DTW:   37.6 km
DTY:    877.4 km

No comments:

Post a Comment