Friday 29 March 2013

Sharpening up

Monday, 25th March – 8.9km Easy Run (4:49/km)
Started off the week with a bit of a fartlek run, but this was too undisciplined to be even termed a proper fartlek!! A few MP kms and some slightly slower, faster-easy stuff! See, I can’t even properly describe the run so I think it’s best to simply say it was a good honest effort and move on!

Tuesday, 26th March – 6.5km ‘Messy’ Run
I was in a rush to get from work to the Aviva for the Ireland v Austria match via my Sister’s house en route so I stopped off in Bushy Park to do this run. Rough plan was to do a few intervals seeing as the distance would be short. However, issues with the satellites registering meant this started off poorly and failed to get much better. I eventually managed to throw in a 710m interval at 4:05/km pace but I still wasn’t happy. The next 630m interval was 3:54/km but the mind wasn’t right with all the distractions so I got back to the car after about 6.5km and called it a day. 

Wednesday, 27th March – 10.5km VO2Max Session

After my aborted run last night I took a spin over to Clontarf sea front to have another go this evening. Luckily the weather wasn’t at it’s worst with only a moderate wind and no snow. After a 1km warm-up I threw in my first 800m interval. This was into the wind and even though I was fresh it still registered 4:05/km. The next one was into the teeth of the wind now though and somehow it managed to slow to 4:15/km! I honestly think the GPS signal must have been lost for a few seconds during this lap. Thankfully, I rounded the bend at Dollymount for the third interval into the wind and this retreated back to 4:05/km. 

Halfway through my recovery jog I turned around and now running with the wind I started interval #4 at the junction of Bull Island. This felt a bit easier but I was now beginning to feel the lactic build-up so the pace was 3:58/km. I had planned only 5 intervals in total but because I was still feeling ok I threw in a couple extra. It helped that I was now running downwind and returning towards the car so the final three intervals worked out at in or around 4:00/km (4:02, 4:03, 3:59). Altogether it was 7 x 800m (5.6km) of Intervals. This was a good confidence boost for the Kilmovee 10km this weekend which I plan to run. Hopefully the weather will play ball and let me give my 43:16 PB a serious bashing!

Thursday, 28th March – Rest Day
Friday, 29th March – 11.8km Easy Run with 3x1km @ VO2Max (5:??/km)

Browned off with the cold weather I gave in on Thurs evening and took my first rest day for two weeks. Usual feelings of guilt but reckoned I am now only two weeks from the main event and am practically in taper so a day off is well deserved! 

Then, a nice long lie-in this morning almost resulted in me missing much of the first day of sunshine in weeks!! Managed to get out in the evening for an easy run but I threw in 3 x 1km @ VO2 Max speed to get the legs moving for tomorrow’s 10km race. The initial idea was to target 4:05-4:10/km pace but I worked it so that I was running downwind for the first and third intervals and the middle one was done into the wind but on a downslope so I was very happy to maintain 4:02, 3:57, 4:03 paces. Kept it at 3 intervals as didn’t want to blunt my speed too much for tomorrow. Hoping for sub 43 for sure but hopefully sub 42 if the weather and elevation play ball!

Week 13 Summary (so far):
RTW: 4 from 5 days
DTW: 38.8 km
DTY: 1,089.6 km

No comments:

Post a Comment