Sunday 3 March 2013

Bohermeen Half Marathon

Sunday, 3rd March – 21.1km HM Race with 2km w/u
Last night I was in Croker to watch a pretty good game as the Dubs (boo!) beat Mayo. During the course of the evening I was prepared to allow myself 2-3 drinks but as is the way on these occasions this eventually stretched out to 5 pints of Guinness. However, seeing that I was home by just a little after 10pm I was ok with my excesses as I was still 14 hours from race start.

Of course this morning I was feeling it a bit when I woke up at 9am but I was pretty fresh when hitting the road at 11am. An unintended quick tour of Navan en route (after taking the wrong turn-off on the M3) and I was on my way to race start. However, as I was looking for parking it dawned on me that I had the Garmin chest strap but alas no watch to go with it so I'd have to run this race blind! While I was still digesting this information I soon realised I was driving further and further away from race start. Eventually when I did park-up I knew it would take a swift run back to the start line or I would be fecked! As it turns out it gave me just the right amount of warm-up and it turned out there were plenty of people in the same boat as me and worse. 

At the starting line I ran into a few boardsies including Aimman, Ultraman1, Career Move, Marthastew and her husband and a quick intro to Blockic. YoungAnne popped over briefly to say hello also. I got to briefly chat to Philip also before moving in opposite directions for race start. I was expecting a very impressive time from him today.

The race started about 5-10mins late and the first mile was back in the direction of my car. I spotted the 1:30 pacer TRR leg it on the outside for the first 100m before turning my attention to running my own race. Half a mile into it and as I looked up the road there was now a good group forming around TRR and the pace had settled down. I was running quite easily about 100m behind them at this stage and expected them to forge ahead. However, before the first turn at the 1 mile marker I was only about 20m down on them so thought why not catch them and stick with them for a while. Thankfully, I had latched onto the gang before I passed my car. Running with the group felt good although it was very easy to knock into fellow runners and fall off stride. I got chatting to a guy named Fergal who is the brother of Asimonov (who ran a very good 50km in Donadea). Fergal looked very comfortable at this stage. However, it wasn't too long after this that I began to lose touch with the group. Very slowly over the next couple of miles the gap spread out to 10m and then 20m and so it continued. 
Bohermeen Course - 2 x 6.2mile laps
By mile 4 I was feeling the full effort of the pace but it was a manageable pain. Around here there were a couple of drags but nothing you'd notice on a slow run. Then at mile 5.5 there was a left turn and the only real hill of the day. It didn't last very long though thankfully and the other side led to a nice straight section where I regained a few positions. We were now passing the slower 5km runners and I found this a great boost which helped my pace - nothing like passing people out to push you forward! All this fun was short-lived though and we were on our own again after the half-way point. I was pretty isolated around here and as we turned the corner I could count out the time gap between myself and TRR which stood at approx 90 seconds. This was to be the last time I would see the 1:30 gang on the course.

The next 3 miles was a matter of gritting the teeth and getting the miles done. In total I was passed by about 6 people along here while only passing one myself. With no time/pacing info I began to believe I was falling back closer to my current PB of 1:35:30, however I was determined no matter what I was going to beat that time. 

Before long we were facing into the main hill again and I made sure to take it easy going up the hill as I wanted to push on once I plateaued. There was about 6 runners within 100m in front of me so I made it my goal to catch them one by one and see how many I would beat. As hoped I had a couple in the bag in no time. There was one girl wearing a Crusaders top that I recognised from TRR's group so she was the ultimate prize as I reckoned she must have been on course for a reasonable time. I got passed a couple more and soon we were turning for the 100m home stretch. I was on her shoulder at this point and knew it was just a formality to the line at that stage. A few seconds later though one of the guys I'd previously passed came through like a train and claimed my scalp with just 20m to go. Fair play to him as it was impressive speed coming down the run-in. Just as I crossed the line I barely made out a time of 1:32:4x and even though it took me a few seconds to comprehend I was very happy with the time. I had it in my head that if I got 1:33:xx at all I'd be doing well so chuffed with the actual time. of 1:32:49 which I eventually managed to confirm.

So, given my prep wasn't the greatest for this race I still managed to pull out a 2min41sec PB, which McMillan Calculator happens to equate to a 3:15:20 marathon time! If things go according to plan in March it's gonna be a big month for quality training and should bring me on a good bit from today.

Lots of great times from the other Boardsies with the highlights being Philip and Blockic both running in and around 1h 21m - both should be very confident of their sub 3hr times in Rotterdam. Another Rotterdam-bound is Joe Dunne who pipped his Missus, Olwyn, by 4 seconds for a 1:29:17 and his 3:10 target is now looking very achievable also. 
Rotterdam is going to be EPIC!!

Finally, well done to Bohermeen AC on a great event and I hope to be back next year again!


Week 9 Summary:
RTW:   7 from 7 days
DTW:   96.1km
DTY:    745.7 km



2 comments:

  1. Nice one John. Great to see you improving yet again. Best of luck for Rotterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Sarah, best of luck yourself in the Lower Potomac marathon on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete