Friday 18 January 2013

Will it ever stop raining?

Fri, 18th Jan – 27.3km LSR Run 

Plan called for a 26km LSR today but it happened to coincide with the worst day of weather in a couple of months. Parked in the usual spot and settled into it over the first couple of kms. However when I reached the Ashtown gate I decided to venture outside the park for a change. Before I knew it I was down at Ashtown train station so I decided to take a left and run along the canal path. I'd never been down here before so was pleasantly surprised to have a really good (if a little puddly) towpath all the way to Coolmine station where it transforms into a muddy, grassy trail. It was when I turned around at this point that I reallised the wind was so strong. A bitterly cold Easterly with plenty of hail abused me for the next 7km until I turned around again in Phibsborough. My transformation from pure misery to mild pleasure was immediate. No more darts of hail into my eyes! 
From there I cut across through Cabra to the North Circular Road and onto the War Memorial Park in Islandbridge. I reckoned today was even too wet for would be gangland assassinations today! All that was left then was the direct route back to the car with a slight detour down Furze Rd thrown in at the end just to gain a little extra distance. 

So, 27.3km all-in which would be worth 30km on a normal day's weather I reckon! I thought I'd be much more tired but feeling good at the end. Decided against any further miles though as I have the 5km tempo session tomorrow. 

Week 3 Summary (to date):
RTW: 5 from 5 days
DTW: 77.5km
DTY: 210.9km

2 comments:

  1. Great run in that weather John. You are killing me with this km business though. I need a converter! - blockic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Distances always look so much more impressive in kms, it's the way to go!
    Just for you though that's 17 miles or thereabouts!!

    ReplyDelete