Wednesday 23 January 2013

Faster, longer, better.

Mon, 21st Jan – 8.0km Recovery Run
This started out as a recovery run but as the kms passed by I was feeling fresh so kept upping the pace until I hit ‘Easy pace’ for the last 1.5km. I had to hold myself back in the end as I knew the LT intervals were up tomorrow.

Tue, 22nd Jan – 27.1km LT Intervals with 5 x 2km
I was dreading this for most of the day. I had decided to up the number of reps from four to five x 2km intervals so I knew it was going to be pretty tough. After a few kms of warm-up I started into the first rep. Once again the main issue was getting the HR up to the correct range of 155bpm. These cold evenings help keep the HR lower than normal as the body doesn’t need to process as much excess heat as on a balmy summer’s evening (not that we’d ever have the problem either!).

The second rep began at the same place as last week’s opening rep so I knew this would be handy for comparing performances. This was down the Oscar Traynor Road and resulted in me having to negotiate a couple of junctions where cars blocked my path. Regardless, things were still going well.

One other change from last week was my recovery period was shortened from 500m to 400m. This reduced downtime was being felt a little on reps 3 & 4. That, allied with the same inclines experienced last week meant the Av pace slowed a little. My final rep was along the length of Collins Ave between Swords Rd. and Ballymun Rd. and then down to the entrance of DCU. After a slightly lazy first km I pushed it a little extra on the final fast km.

Glad it was all over I continued at recovery pace for a little while. Once the HR had recovered to the 130’s I realised I was still feeling pretty decent so I decided to add on an extra chunk to the run. This led me to continue across to the Malahide Road and then back along Collins Ave again. It was here I met CamboGueno (from Boards.ie and the night time hill runs I’ve been doing recently) who gave me a big wave. Unfortunately, I hadn’t a clue who he was partly due to a) being in my own little world, b) him being on da Nordsoid and c) he wasn’t surrounded by Dublin mountains! I continued along for another 5km before reaching home and it was only when I got into the warmth of the apartment that I looked at the distance on the watch and realised I’d completed 27km when I had guesstimated it would only be 23km! A nice surprise to finish a great work-out.

Week 4 Summary (to date):
RTW: 2 from 2 days
DTW: 35.1km
DTY: 265.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment