Wednesday 16 January 2013

More LT intervals

Tue, 15th Jan – 21.1km LT Intervals with 4 x 2km

LT interval session #2 was due this evening and a chance to stretch the legs properly with a bit of speed. The plan was 18km with 5 w/u – 4 x 2km @ LT – 5 c/d. As the evening was bitterly cold again I went with the leggings to help keep me warm during the first 5km of a warm-up. Bit of a misnomer there really as to stay warm I ended up running quicker than I really ought to have. 


Nevertheless, once I hit the Oscar Traynor Rd I started the faster stuff. Immediately I noticed the paths were pretty slippy so I shortened the stride and upped the cadence. About halfway through I was interrupted by traffic at a junction but it was plain sailing after that. When the 2km was up I went into recovery mode for 500m before starting the next interval at the beginning of the Malahide Rd. Again pretty straightforward. The recovery brought me to the start of Collins Ave for my next rep. Usually I would have continued onto Griffith Ave but those paths are simply too dark for any pace faster than recovery. Too much of a chance of hitting a crack in the pavement and rolling your ankle. Collins Ave on the other hand was lit-up like Vegas! This rep was somewhat tougher than the earlier two as it was slightly uphill, but more concerning to me was that my left achilles/ankle was giving me a bit of jib. I’m not 100% sure but I’m thinking it’s the new Brooks Adrenaline GTS I got just before xmas. They simply don’t seem to have the cushioning the old Kayanos offered. Anyways, the final rep was done along the short section of Griffith Ave (out of necessity!) and the hill up to the DCU entrance. This was the toughest part of the session tonight but because I was going for HR rather than speed it wasn’t as difficult as it might otherwise have been!

All that then remained was to jog home the remainder of the way which turned out to be closer to 5km rather than the 2-3km I was expecting, leading to the extra bump in distance. All in all a really good session and because the intervals were twice the distance as last week and recovery remained the same, I feel this was a better quality session. Also, the total distance ran was 4km longer and is now a full-on MSR distance! 
However, my left calf, which was reasonably fine for the run, was very tender afterwards so I gave it a bit of a rolling but will have to mind it over the next couple of days.

Week 3 Summary (to date):
RTW: 2 from 2 days
DTW: 30.1km
DTY: 163.5km

No comments:

Post a Comment