Saturday 19 January 2013

Parklife.

Sat, 19th Jan – Malahide Parkrun 5k 
The weather this morning was only a little better so when I turned up in Malahide I was expecting plenty of flooded pathways. I managed a nice easy 2.8km warm-up en-route to the race start and within a few minutes we were off for the race proper

I positioned myself a few rows back and the first km consisted of me passing a few people and keeping the effort around LT pace. As is the way the HR took a while to get up to speed so the first km registered a little low. The remainder of the small lap was pretty similar and it wasn't until the second lap that things got interesting. It was here that we hit the trail path and straight away we were in 10 inch deep 'puddles'! The hill run on Thursday night wasn't this bad! The biggest flood lasted for about 20 metres but there was lots more before we got back onto the tarred section. After that it was a matter of keeping the pace consistent and try not to push on too much. Then with 100m to go I tried my manoeuvre from 2 weeks ago and floored it but the LSR from yesterday had sapped my energy levels so while it was a good sprint the one guy I was aiming for heard me coming with 50m to go and kicked on himself. So, no easy overtaking today! To complete matters I still had time for 3 dry heaves once finished. Not sure where that came out of but I was just thankful I hadn't had brekkie yet! Ended up crossing the line in 22:41 so similar to the last day but definitely worse conditions today.

Afterwards, there was time for 4.6km of a cool-down before getting back to the car. All-in 12.4km for the day. Glad it's all over and done with now though!

Week 3 Summary (to date):
RTW: 6 from 6 days
DTW: 89.9km
DTY: 223.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment