Sunday 20 January 2013

The return of IMRA

Sun, 20th Jan – IMRA - Howth Winter

Today marked the return of IMRA races and it all kicked off with the only Northside race which took place in Howth. My preparation wasn't exactly textbook given I'd been out last night with a gang of people from Boards and my gameplan of just one or two drinks went AWOL. All this resulted in a slightly hazy head but then the crisp cold Howth air was just the thing to sort me out.

I started mid-pack and during the course of the lap of the GAA pitch at the start I was surprised to see so many people haring away. I figured lots of them would blow up on the climb section. Within the first couple of mins we entered our first choke point where everyone was slowed to a slow walk due to 212 people trying to fit through a space which only allowed two at a time! Then once we got going again we met the start of the deep sludgy mud which covered half the route. Even my Salomon shoes were no match for this. I was just about keeping upright on the downhills and corners. Several times too I was being held up by people on the single-track, darting past whenever a bit of space opened up. About 2km into the race a marshal was counting out the positions as we went by and I was in 100th place. On a more open course I'm sure I'd have been another 10-20 places higher but no point complaining as the course is what it is. 

Another couple of km of dodgy descending, climbing 30 steps and then a nice flattish bit on top of Howth summit and we were on our way towards the finish. The descent was so steep and muddy I lost a couple of positions here but then it levelled out with a final lap of the pitch before crossing the line. I got overtaken by a couple of people on the last 300m as the legs were a little dead but probably more the effects of last night really! Finished in 90th position of 212. 

Week 3 Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 96.8km
DTY: 230.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment