Thursday 22 August 2013

Battling the breeze...

Monday, 19th August, 2013 – 8.8km LT Run (4:24/km)
I called over to Raheny to watch my footie team play a game this evening. Headed off at half time to go for a run along the seafront towards Howth. Today called for gentle running but after yesterdays easy/recovery run I felt I was feeling up to tomorrow's planned LT run. 

So, after only 400m of a warm-up I upped the pace to 4:20/km. I'm still living in a HRM-less world so I was working off pace and effort. This was feeling pretty decent for most of the way until I realised there was probably a good breeze on my back. And so it was proven when I turned around at the Sutton end of the seafront and straight into what was actually quite a strong breeze. I knew this was gonna mess up my average pace but that was OK as I was maintaining the effort. The return journey had a much higher average pace but once I got to my final km I reached a bit of shelter and the pace dropped to 4:14/km which proved that I had kept to a steady effort the whole way.

Very happy with this run as I felt good for all 8km @ LT effort. If I can get to a level of 12km @ LT before the Athlone HM then I'll be relatively pleased. Got back to the match in time for the last 10 mins of the game, just after our keeper got his 2nd yellow. Game ended up 3-3 and 10 v 9 players!


Tuesday, 20th August, 2013 – 11.9km Recovery Run (5:25/km)
Still a little tired after the LT session last night so lucky that the schedule called for a no brainer recovery run. I had contemplated just doing a 7km version but figured I'd get the extra 5km as per plan. However, I think these 11.9km recovery runs are in junk mile territory. I don't think they benefited me much/at all for the first half of the year. In fact the extra 5km probably only leaves me a bit tired again for the next session thereby undoing all the good work! So, I think in future I'll keep recover runs to no longer than my 7.4km loop and keep the recovery days very easy. For my easy runs I will still run the 11.9km loops though as they are proper training rather than recovery sessions.


Wednesday, 21st August, 2013 – 17.2km MLR Run with 9km @ MP (MP Pace: 4:34/km)
I was off work today so for this run I went to Clontarf seafront. I was a bit wary of the strong breeze at the beginning, combined with the fact I still felt a bit stiff from Monday evening. After a 1km warm up I started into the MP kms. I tried to maintain it between 4:30-4:35 and was pretty successful all the way to the Sutton end of the seafront. However, as expected (and like Monday night, only worse!) the wind was very stiff when I changed direction. I finished out the km I was on before easing back to recovery pace. I tried another km @ MP later but that was at a higher intensity and only 4:46/km pace so I just jogged back to the car, which in itself was crappy enough! The weather was very warm too with the car thermo reading 22deg before and after the run and my sweaty t-shirt verified this!

All said though I was reasonably happy with the 9km I managed to get in. Building blocks and all that! Plus, I managed to get in for pacing the Dublin HM for 1:40 on September 23rd. I was gonna be running it at MP anyways (Late 1:30's) so getting the 1:40 pacer job is pretty much perfect for me.

Week 34 Summary (So far):
RTW: 3 from 3 days
DTW: 37.9km
DTY: 2,668.9km
Chicago - 53 days (7wks, 4days)

No comments:

Post a Comment