Sunday 18 August 2013

Only 8 weeks to go!

Thursday, 15th August, 2013 – Rest Day.
A recovery run was on the plan for this evening but I had some household shopping to do first, so by the time I was home and ready to go it was 10 mins into a 60 min tropical downpour! On the way back from the shops I had noticed a few runners battling the elements but they looked thoroughly miserable so when it hadn't gotten any better by 8:30pm I decided to call it quits on the run for this evening. By way of a compromise I decided I'd double up tomorrow and then settled into a guilt free evening in front of the TV!

I bizarrely woke at 5:30am and as I was about to turn over for the rest of my sleep I asked myself why not get up now and do the session for the day as opposed to the recovery run later? So, after messing around on the web for half an hour til I was fully awake(!) I got myself outta bed and went for this run. Started with a gentle first km before starting into my first 3km @ LT segment. This went ok and I took a 1km recovery break before starting into my second 3km @ LT segment which initially felt a lot more difficult. Eventually I settled into this pace too and before I knew it the faster stuff was finished so I returned the 4km home at a recovery pace. Happy this is over now but I'll still go out for a 7km recovery run later in the afternoon.
After getting up so early I was pretty tired by the time this came round so I just decided to take it nice and handy. First km was a little stiff and tight but loosened out after that and nothing much else to report.

Saturday, 17th August, 2013 – 21.6km LSR Run (5:36/km)
I'd a loose arrangement to meet a gang of boardsies in the Park this morning but I ended up being late and when I arrived at 9:10am they were gone from the Papal Cross and nowhere to be found. I started out on a route that I thought had a good chance of catching them but no use. After a loop of the South-West quadrant I returned to my car to drop off my jacket. Another loop and I thought I spotted them but when I got closer it was a different group. Eventually, my head was wrecked from various things, my legs were getting tired and I was mentally weak so I decided to return to the car park with only 10 miles on the clock. However, with just 400m to go I 'ran' into Matt, Peter and Joe so I turned around and ran with them for a mile or two. The change was immediate. Suddenly with others to chat to I was running far more easily. Unfortunately the guys were on their way back to their cars/home so I was solo again. This time though I had an extra 5km in the bag before I got to the car in the end. A nice compromise all things considered. At last a decent week of mileage and one more day to go so at last I feel like I'm back in the swing of things, albeit still behind schedule!

Sunday, 18th August, 2013 – 10.0km Easy Run (5:05/km)
Today was to be a recovery day according to my plan but after yesterday's truncated LSR I felt a recovery run wasn't really justified so I went with an easy pace for most of it. The route was out and back along the Clontarf seafront and for the return leg there was a bit of a headwind so when I got to 2km from the car I eased back to recovery pace so as to leave myself fresh for a crack at another LT session tomorrow.

Week 33 Summary:
RTW: 7 from 7 days
DTW: 84.4km
DTY: 2,631.0km
Chicago - 56 days (8wks, 0days)

No comments:

Post a Comment