Friday 2 August 2013

Recovery and Balla 10k race

Monday, 22nd July - Friday, 26th July - Rest days.
The 24hr race took a lot more out of me than I had predicted and for the first few days of the week I was pretty stiff. I was also hugely fatigued, not only from running 100 miles but also from the 40hrs without sleep. Of course what I should have done was to get to bed early those first few evenings but what I actually did was stay up to my regular late time of midnight or later! As a result I was playing catchup all week and it was no real surprise that I failed to get out for a run. I did manage to join my work colleagues for the weekly game of 5 a side on Wednesday evening where I was grand for the first half hour but faded badly towards the end.

Saturday, 27th July, 2013 – 12.1km Balla 10kRace
I travelled down home on Saturday with the main goal of running the Balla 10k race. I really hadn’t a clue how I was going to perform as it was the first bit of running since Belfast. An easy 1km warm-up beforehand and a short wait before the race began. I just ran by feel and the first couple of kms were grand (4:09/4:16). There was a bit of a hill in the second km and I made sure not to push it too much. The next 2 km had a couple of tougher hills (4:21/4:24) and by now I was beginning to feel the effort in the legs. Also, a slight niggle was developing behind my left knee. 

By the halfway point my pace was dropping (4:27) so I just kept plugging away with the idea of possibly nabbing a sub 44 but definitely a sub 45. The niggle was getting more pronounced now though so I had to slightly adjust my stride to ease the pain. The next couple of kms also contained hills so 4:35/4:37 was fair enough. There was now 3km to go with it slightly downhill overall. I managed to finish off with 4:27/4:22 & 4:16 before 100m of 3:40/km to the finish line. Final result was 44:16 which was a course record for me by about 2.5 mins. The race was won in a record time by Freddie Kearon Sittuk who I got chatting to later on that night over a few pints in the local. Really nice guy and he'll be going all out in Athlone in September so the best of luck to him there!
Myself, Freddie and Damien.
Sunday, 28th July - Rest day.
Took a rest day due to the impact of the race yesterday.

Week 30 Summary: 
RTW: 1 from 7 days
DTW: 12.1km
DTY: 2462.7km

1 comment:

  1. Jesus, what are you doing racing!

    It took me at least 4 weeks last year to feel somewhat recovered, and I wouldn't have entered a race in that time if they had paid me to! It took 4 months to feel fully recovered.

    You can't short-cut your recovery. Take it easy and forget about racing for a few weeks or you are heading for an injury.

    Sorry for the tone of that comment.

    ReplyDelete